Nelson Cruz Officially Declines Orioles Qualifying Offer (and 3 yr deal?)

Slade-OH

As many expected, Nelson Cruz declined the Orioles $15.3 million qualifying offer this afternoon, electing to become a free agent. This shouldn't come as a surprise as both parties knew what they were signing up for back in February when the O's inked Cruz to a 1-year deal worth $8 million. Cruz offered the Orioles another power bat and run producer in the middle of the order at a clearance rack price. The Orioles offered Cruz, desperate for a suitor at that point, a one-year opportunity to re-establish his free agent value, coming off a season that ended in a PED-related suspension.

It proved to be the perfect situation for both Cruz and the Orioles. Nelson fit right in with the Baltimore Orioles and hammered a career-best and MLB-leading 40 home runs along with an impressive .271/.333/.525 slash line and a 2014 MLB all-star game appearance. He proved to be a pivotal part of the Orioles first AL East title since

was relevant music (1997). I'd say the mission was accomplished by Cruz's camp as he shouldn't have nearly as difficult of time finding that lucrative contract he has been seeking this offseason.

Both sides have expressed interest in keeping Cruz in Baltimore but it's certainly possible that his price tag becomes too high for what the Orioles are realistically willing to offer on the free agent market. After all, Cruz does turn 35 next July, so it's reasonable to assume that his future production may not quite approach the level he played at in 2014. If he does end up signing elsewhere, the Orioles will at least recieve a supplemental 2015 draft pick out of the deal.

Is the short-lived Nelson Cruz era over? Or do you think the Orioles will work out a deal to keep him in Baltimore for several more seasons? Are you willing to give him a 4-year deal if that's the selling point in securing his services for the O's? Are there other free agents you would rather see the Orioles pursue?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
But he worked for a very team friendly deal last year. How smart is that? What if he had not stayed healthy?

Smarter than waiting until August, IMO.:o

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles offered Nelson Cruz a three-year deal before he went into free agency. They're positioned to wait out as he talks w/ other teams</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles offered Nelson Cruz a three-year deal before he went into free agency. They're positioned to wait out as he talks w/ other teams</p>? Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

C'mon Buster. Give us the dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles offered Nelson Cruz a three-year deal before he went into free agency. They're positioned to wait out as he talks w/ other teams</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

Dan Duquette said that he had payroll flexibility to sign both Cruz and Markakis if he decide to. Says they are not mutually exclusive.

https://twitter.com/dc_tbldaily/status/532267004569587712

Are they even considering Miller? I thought not. No one has indicated any interest.

We would have won the division without Miller, I'm pretty sure. But it was great to have him down the stretch and in the postseason. I think it may be more prudent to pick up an extra reliever for the stretch run than it is to commit to a $25-32 mm outlay over 3-4 years.

The real point I was trying to make is that of our free agents I would rank Markakis MUCH lower than Miller or Cruz. These two are/can be difference makers. At this point in his career, Nick is basically a full time Joe Orsulak.

Andrew Miller has been an above average reliever for a single season in his career. His career walk rate is almost 5. I like Andrew Miller but he is probably going to be among the 15 best paid relievers in baseball and it is possible that he falls off a cliff. I think Markakis is a safer bet than Miller.

Andrew Miller has been an above average reliever for a single season in his career. His career walk rate is almost 5. I like Andrew Miller but he is probably going to be among the 15 best paid relievers in baseball and it is possible that he falls off a cliff. I think Markakis is a safer bet than Miller.

It's possible he continues like last year and so does Nick. Which means their values are about equal in a vacuum. But, there are a lot more relievers obtainable than right fielders.

Archived