Roch: Do the O's keep De Aza?

wildcard

Roch says he would keep De Aza and Lough.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/11/decision-pending-on-de-aza.html

This is interesting because De Aza is not that much different from Nate McLouth. And the O's would not go 2/10 for McLouth just last off season. Now they are faced with 1/5.9M for De Aza according to MLBTR's projections.

Roch is right in that the O's would like to know about Markakis and Cruz before they decide on De Aza. If they have Jones in center, Markakis in right and Cruz playing part time in left, do they spend 6M on a part time player in De Aza in left? And where does that put Pearce?

Fact is the O's probably will have to make a decision on De Aza before they know whether they have Cruz back. De Aza has to be tendered by Dec 2nd. The O's probably sign Markakis by then but Cruz could go longer. Such is the headaches of a GM. DD will probably have to use the best information he has on Dec 2nd to determine when he pays 6M for a leftfielder. It could go either way.

De Aza speed is a plus for the O's but they have Lough. And playing time is an issue for both. If the speed is not in the lineup then its only there for pinch running and defensive replacements.

Where do you think this is headed? Do the O's keep De Aza?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/11/decision-pending-on-de-aza.html

This is interesting because De Aza is not that much different from Nate McLouth. And the O's would not go 2/10 for McLouth just last off season. Now they are faced with 1/5.9M for De Aza according to MLBTR's projections.

Roch is right in that the O's would like to know about Markakis and Cruz before they decide on De Aza. If they have Jones in center, Markakis in right and Cruz playing part time in left, do they spend 6M on a part time player in De Aza in left? And where does that put Pearce?

Fact is the O's probably will have to make a decision on De Aza before they know whether they have Cruz back. De Aza has to be tendered by Dec 2nd. The O's probably sign Markakis by then but Cruz could go longer. Such is the headaches of a GM. DD will probably have to use the best information he has on Dec 2nd to determine when he pays 6M for a leftfielder. It could go either way.

De Aza speed is a plus for the O's but they have Lough. And playing time is a issue for both. If the speed is not in the line up then its only there for pinch running and defensive replacements.

I'd tender him. You could always trade him. Or sign him for less than his projected.

I don't think its a lock he's here. We gave up essentially nothing for him so it wouldn't really matter much if we let him go.

I think it comes down completely to Markakis. If Markakis is signed by Dec 2 or they feel they will get him signed, then he's gone. If Markakis leaves or they don't feel confident in signing him then De Aza comes back.

With our our payroll getting high, we gotta look at ways to cut salary and non tendering a redundant player like De Aza is a great way to save money.

I don't think its a lock he's here. We gave up essentially nothing for him so it wouldn't really matter much if we let him go.

I think it comes down completely to Markakis. If Markakis is signed by Dec 2 or they feel they will get him signed, then he's gone. If Markakis leaves or they don't feel confident in signing him then De Aza comes back.

With our our payroll getting high, we gotta look at ways to cut salary and non tendering a redundant player like De Aza is a great way to save money.

You may be right with our money tendered is money spent philosophy. I just think he has excess value.

I think DeAza will be a much better value than 1/5.9 I hope DD keeps him.

Yep, and i think he will. It definitely sounded to me like De Aza was guy they had scouted for awhile and were happy to get. If De Aza presents a good trade opportunity/value, fine, but squeezing out De Aza because off the Markakis dollars would make that extension even worse than it is shaping up to be.

De Aza speed is a plus for the O's but they have Lough. And playing time is an issue for both. If the speed is not in the lineup then its only there for pinch running and defensive replacements.

Don't see how you can compare McLouth's 2 year contract with DeAza on a one year trade.

Archived