Is Nick Markakis still an everyday player?

AlbionHero

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2014/11/is-nick-markakis-everyday-player.html

Keith Law obviously doesn't think so.

PA (DC)

4/$40M too much for Markakis? Could the O's do better by flipping Gonzalez or Norris + a prospect?

Klaw (1:23 PM)

Way too much. Not even clear he's a regular at this point. And I was generally a believer in his talent when he was younger.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keith Law can be absurd at times. Markakis was worth 2.1 rWAR, 2.5 fWAR last year. "Not even clear he's a regular?" That's a joke. We can debate what he'll be three years from now, but right now he is obviously a regular. Keith Law: often wrong, but never in doubt.

Law is a smart man.

Nick is a loyal and long tenured Oriole. With that said, he shouldn't be paid like he is 27. His injury history and power numbers would suggest that signing him to a four year deal at the projected dollars mention would be counter productive for a .280 hitter that hits 15 HR's and drives in 60

Keith Law can be absurd at times. Markakis was worth 2.1 rWAR, 2.5 fWAR last year. "Not even clear he's a regular?" That's a joke. We can debate what he'll be three years from now, but right now he is obviously a regular. Keith Law: often wrong, but never in doubt.

A 2.0 rWAR is the baseline for being a regular. Combine that with his 2013 season, and his age, and it's not crazy to say it's "not clear."

If the Orioles are going to compete every year with the Yankees and Red Sox, the value of this statement must be exactly zero.

I disagree strongly with this statement. Loyalty and tenure with an organization are a factor in every business I know of. I'm not saying they have overriding value, but they are a consideration. if you want a cohesive team, you cannot treat human beings as though they are nothing but chattel.

I disagree strongly with this statement. Loyalty and tenure with an organization are a factor in every business I know of. I'm not saying they have overriding value, but they are a consideration. if you want a cohesive team, you cannot treat human beings as though they are nothing but chattel.

The Rays had a lot of success with low payroll over the years by treating players as commodities that could be traded when they got too expensive.

I feel its best to take the human element out of building a team instead of getting too attached.

Law is a smart man.

Nick is a loyal and long tenured Oriole. With that said, he shouldn't be paid like he is 27. His injury history and power numbers would suggest that signing him to a four year deal at the projected dollars mention would be counter productive for a .280 hitter that hits 15 HR's and drives in 60

A 2.0 rWAR is the baseline for being a regular. Combine that with his 2013 season' date=' and his age, and it's not crazy to say it's "not clear."[/quote']

Oh, it's crazy, all right. I guess 31 is the new 40 in your eyes, but not in mine. No matter where Nick plays next year, he will be a regular. I'm as sure of that as I am that the sun will rise in the East.

I am absolutely against signing Nick at the figures that are being tossed around (even 3/30 is too much, in my opinion), but this is ridiculous. Other than getting hit in the hand by Sabathia, Markakis has missed very little time.

I also disagree with Law. Markakis is clearly still an everyday player, he's just a very average one. I don't think anyone here (well, except maybe Birdland) wouldn't want Markakis back if the price were right. Unfortunately, the price is not.

Archived