Should the O's trade for Evan Gattis?

mdbdotcom

He'll be 28 entering next season and still a year away from being arbitration eligible. Probably wouldn't do much catching for Buck, but he would be a decent emergency catcher (as opposed to Pearce). Hits RHP well and crushes LHP. Give him 600 AB as DH and he might hit 30 HR.

What would it take to get him? Reportedly, the Braves approached DD about trading BJ Upton for Ubaldo. O's weren't interested (thank goodness), but what about trading Ubaldo and De Aza for Gattis. Then, we re-sign Markakis and play Lough/Pearce in LF. If you don't like this trade idea, what do you think would be a good trade?

Would trading for Gattis and saving the money (and getting the draft pick) be better than re-signing Cruz?

What are the odds this could happen?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'll be 28 entering next season and still a year away from being arbitration eligible. Probably wouldn't do much catching for Buck, but he would be a decent emergency catcher (as opposed to Pearce). Hits RHP well and crushes LHP. Give him 600 AB as DH and he might hit 30 HR.

What would it take to get him? Reportedly, the Braves approached DD about trading BJ Upton for Ubaldo. O's weren't interested (thank goodness), but what about trading Ubaldo and De Aza for Gattis. Then, we re-sign Markakis and play Lough/Pearce in LF. If you don't like this trade idea, what do you think would be a good trade?

Would trading for Gattis and saving the money (and getting the draft pick) be better than re-signing Cruz?

What are the odds this could happen?

What are the odds? None. DeAza has minimal trade value at a 5.9 arb figure. If they agreed to take Ubaldo, no question we'd have to take BJ Upton - unless O's agreed to pay 80% or so of Ub's salary. And we'd likely have to give up one of Harvey/Bundy/Gausman. Gattis is a phenom as a hitter. They're not going to give him away.

I grew up a Braves fan and still consider them my favorite team. Despite being and Orioles season ticket holder for many seasons and knowing way more about the Orioles than the Braves. Not sure why I said that but I did!

Oh that being said I figured the Orioles would try and get Gattis once his name was thrown around. He would fill many holes. He could be a DH he could catch when Weiters needs a day off and he could take up space in the outfield if needed.

That being said after watching him play he sure does fit the mold of HR or strikeout. He along with many of the other Braves hitters were HR or nothing much like the Orioles. If we wanted another player like that it does make sense to trade for him.

What are the odds? None. DeAza has minimal trade value at a 5.9 arb figure. If they agreed to take Ubaldo, no question we'd have to take BJ Upton - unless O's agreed to pay 80% or so of Ub's salary. And we'd likely have to give up one of Harvey/Bundy/Gausman. Gattis is a phenom as a hitter. They're not going to give him away.

I think calling someone with a 117 OPS+ and a K/BB ratio of 4/1 a phenom is a bit of an exaggeration.

He has under 800 PA for his career and will be entering his age 28 season.

I definitely like the idea. Gattis clearly fits the Orioles' offensive playbook. And he's a good target because he could fill the roles vacated by Cruz/Young if they leave. But he would most likely be a poor LFer, which is where he would probably play the most often when he wasn't DH.

Braves are in rebuild mode, they're looking for prospects. I am bad at building trades, could Tim Berry or Mike Wright be a starting point?

I would much rather trade a non-top prospect or two for Gattis and retain Markakis (10m or less) and DeAza than spend the big bucks for Cruz. But maybe Gattis would be more expensive than I think?

So you believe in protection then?

His 43 walks over 783 PA doesn't scream "pitched around" to me.

I'm not the biggest "protection" guy, but logically it does make sense. Pitch arounds do happen, it's just a question of extent. I think Gattis, in Camden Yards and in this lineup, would put up better numbers than in Atlanta with one of the worst lineups.

I'm not the biggest "protection" guy' date=' but logically it does make sense. Pitch arounds do happen, it's just a question of extent. I think Gattis, in Camden Yards and in this lineup, would put up better numbers than in Atlanta with one of the worst lineups.[/quote']

Logically it may makes sense but there is precious little evidence that shows it.

And like I said, his walk rate doesn't look like someone that isn't being pitched to.

I am not saying his bat is without value, just that phenom is an overstatement. I wouldn't expected a trade to Baltimore to significantly improve his performance.

Archived