Tyler Wilson and Mike Wright Added to 40 man roster.

weams

A little surprised no Bridwell, though they technically have until midnight.

Roch says

Pitcher Parker Bridwell, 23, is a surprising omission.

Bridwell went 7-10 with a 4.45 ERA in 26 starts at Single-A Frederick. Teams routinely check on his availability in trade talks with the Orioles, who are waiting for him to become more consistent.

In his next-to-last start this summer, Bridwell allowed one hit, walked none and struck out 13 over eight scoreless innings. But he surrendered five runs over two innings in his previous outing.

The Orioles have been banking on his potential while remaining intrigued by his mid-90s fastball and plus changeup.

The Orioles also declined to protect pitcher Mychal Givens and catcher Brian Ward.

No one else.
Asked about the omissions of Bridwell, Givens and Ward, Duquette said, "We try to have our strongest team and take into account their capability to help the major league team. The players we have on the roster we hope will make a contribution on next year's team or be core players in the future."

Roch Masn

No one else.
"Wilson and Wright are both proven at Triple-A," said executive vice president Dan Duquette. "They have distinguished themselves as winning pitchers. They should be ready to compete for spots when we get to spring training.

"Wright was one of the top pitchers in the International League the last six weeks of the season. Wilson was the organization's Pitcher of the Year. They know their way around the mound."

Roch Masn

I really like these two additions. Bridwell is the wildcard, I think his inconsistency kept him from being added in spite of his immense potential. I agree that Texas may very well select him in the draft.

I think if they select him, we will trade him to them.

"I used a heavy ball program with my pitching coach from the University of Virginia," he said. "I did it in college and had kind of gotten away from it my first couple of years in pro ball. Felt like it worked and that my arm was stronger and my body was more prepared for 170 innings or whatever it ends up being moving forward.

"There are a variety of techniques and a variety of weighted balls - some heavier, some lighter - that helps your arm get stronger and faster from a velocity standpoint."

"It's been extremely beneficial for me in that at each level I've had the opportunity to have coaches really invested in me," Wilson said. "And a chance to develop something, whether it be a pitch or something about your routine, whatever it may be it has allowed me to hone in on one variable of my game and to really commit to getting better at each level."

While his fastball gained some juice this year, he continued to work hard on his slider and changeup, as well.

"My last two full seasons have really focused on reshaping my breaking pitch to give it more depth, the ability to make it harder and sharper when I need to. Just being able to manipulate the pitch in general," he said.

"I think it is pretty well-documented that Dan Duquette and Rick Peterson put a lot of weight in the fastball-changeup combination. This past year, I really felt and saw the importance of having a good changeup, being able to add and subtract and being able to see the results in a game.

"The changeup was something I never threw in college. Was mainly a fastball-slider guy and the game is different at that level. But that has really been a point of growth in time I have spent with Rick over the last three years."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/11/for-tyler-wilson-a-memorable-few-weeks-ends-with-his-addition-to-the-40-man-roster.html

I really like these two additions. Bridwell is the wildcard, I think his inconsistency kept him from being added in spite of his immense potential. I agree that Texas may very well select him in the draft.

Texas might take him, but when? With their pick near (at?) the top, they can pick whoever they want. They could take him in the second or third rounds but how many picks will they actually carry

Archived