Rule Five Draft Targets

weams

And I think that we have likely seen the last of LHP Tommy Shirley. He could fill a bullpen spot at the major league level immediately. When he was moved to the bullpen in Oklahoma City at the end of the season, he did extremely well. And he's not just a LOOGY. He can handle right-handed hitters equally well. I hope I'm wrong about Shirley because I really like his upside.

Others are concerned about OF Delino DeShields. I think that was another calculated risk based on his level of readiness for the majors and the number of outfielders at the high levels of the Astros farm system. I personally don't think he's ready for the major leagues right now and isn't likely to stick. Next year at this time, the story will likely be different.

C Roberto Pena has been mentioned as well. Jeff Luhnow told me last year that catchers are never drafted. That was before Adrian Neito was drafted by the White Sox and ended up sticking with them last season. I am somewhat worried about Pena now because he is such an elite defender.

http://whattheheckbobby.blogspot.com/2014/11/some-thoughts-on-astros-protected.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FSkYwB+%28What+the+Heck%2C+Bobby%3F%29

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta like DeShields' speed. I don't know if a contending team can afford to carry a guy who doesn't appear to be ready to hit or field in the majors all season as a pinch-runner, though. I think he has a future, though.

Shirley looks interesting. I bet he gets drafted.

And don't call me Shirley.

Players in Organization Top 20's that weren't protected.

Arizona (2): No. 18 Zach Borenstein, OF

Atlanta (7): No. 11 Cody Martin, RHP; No. 13 J.R. Graham, RHP; No. 18 Johan Camargo, SS

Baltimore (4): No. 12 Parker Bridwell, RHP;

Cincinnati (3): No. 19 Chad Rogers, RHP; No. 20 Junior Arias, OF

Chicago White Sox (2): No. 19 Braulio Ortiz, RHP

Colorado (2): No. 19 Daniel Winkler, RHP

Detroit (2): No. 18 Endrys Briceno, RHP

Houston (3): No. 12 Delino DeShields, OF

Kansas City (3): No. 18 Ramon Torres, SS

Los Angeles Angels (1): No. 5 Kaleb Cowart, 3B

Miami (6): No. 12 Jarlin Garcia, LHP; No. 17 Austin Brice, RHP

Milwaukee (3): No. 17 David Goforth, RHP; No. 20 Drew Gagnon, RHP

New York Mets (6): No. 19 Logan Verrett, RHP

Oakland (2): No. 18 Aaron Shipman, OF

St. Louis (1): No. 19 Breyvic Valera, 2B

San Diego (3): No. 20 Gabriel Quintana, 3B

Toronto (1): No. 18 John Stilson, RHP

Washington (3): No. 6 Matt Skole, 1B; No. 14 Drew Vettleson, OF;

Wouldn't mind getting Deshields Jr. As a 5th OF'er he could be our Jarrod Dyson for a year and start year 2. He's already played in 4 times as many games at AA then Markakis did at age 21. And Markakis made the club out of ST the following year. Hope he falls to us or DD can work out a trade.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=deshie002del

Wouldn't mind getting Deshields Jr. As a 5th OF'er he could be our Jarrod Dyson for a year and start year 2. He's already played in 4 times as many games at AA then Markakis did at age 21. And Markakis made the club out of ST the following year. Hope he falls to us or DD can work out a trade.

A trade would likely be a better route. I don't think you'd want a 22 year old position player rotting away on the bench.

Atlanta (7): No. 11 Cody Martin, RHP; No. 13 J.R. Graham, RHP; No. 18 Johan Camargo, SS

Goforth from Milwaukee was protected. He was a late addition last night.

I'm not much of a minor league guy, but the rule 5 is curious to me. Do you know how those available stack up ranked against one another?

Dyson can play defense at a major league level.

Dyson can play defense at a major league level.

From mlb.com

"Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 70 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

Much like his father, a former Major League outfielder by the same name, DeShields profiles as a leadoff hitter. He is an above-average runner who knows how to use his speed on the basepaths. DeShields stole 101 bases in 2012, and while that total fell to 51 in '13, he remains a threat to run anytime he gets on base.

DeShields has a quick and compact swing, and he does a good job of putting the bat on the ball. His quick wrists generate good bat speed and a surprising amount of pop.

Houston made DeShields a second baseman after drafting him in the first round in 2010, but then moved him back to his natural position of center field during the Arizona Fall League in '13. He is a good fit in the outfield, where his speed plays up."

Teams draft in reverse order of regular-season standings, but any team that already has 40 players on the 40-man is ineligible.

Is that a lot of teams? I just don't see anyone that could stick being available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From mlb.com

"Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 70 | Arm: 50 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

Much like his father, a former Major League outfielder by the same name, DeShields profiles as a leadoff hitter. He is an above-average runner who knows how to use his speed on the basepaths. DeShields stole 101 bases in 2012, and while that total fell to 51 in '13, he remains a threat to run anytime he gets on base.

DeShields has a quick and compact swing, and he does a good job of putting the bat on the ball. His quick wrists generate good bat speed and a surprising amount of pop.

Houston made DeShields a second baseman after drafting him in the first round in 2010, but then moved him back to his natural position of center field during the Arizona Fall League in '13. He is a good fit in the outfield, where his speed plays up."

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=592261#/career/R/hitting/2014/ALL

Archived