Caleb Joseph: just a backup, or plausible future starter?

Frobby

I think everyone here is pretty comfortable that Caleb Joseph can do a solid job as Matt Wieters' backup catcher in 2015. He played the majority of games after his call-up, earning more playing time (77 starts) than the more highly paid Nick Hundley (45). He controlled the running game well, and framed pitches well, though I think his pitch blocking left a bit to be desired. Overall, I think most of us would be comfortable with Joseph's defense even if he was the starting catcher.

So, I think the question is whether Joseph's defense is good enough to carry his offense as a starter, if Wieters leaves after the 2015 season. Joseph hit .207/.264/.354 last season. He ended the season in a horrific tailspin in which he finished 0 for 30 with 13 strikeouts. That sort of bookended the start of his season, in which he began the year 1 for 25. In between those bookends, he was a very credible .262/.311/.450.

Despite his offensive foibles, Joseph was worth 1.2 rWAR, 0.8 fWAR in 82 games. So, if Wieters leaves, are you comfortable rolling with Caleb as our starting catcher, or do we need to find a starter in the marketplace?

Side note: has anyone noticed that Syracuse's point guard is named Kaleb Joseph?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the choice is giving Wieters a 6 or 7 year contract at whatever price Boras is demanding' date=' or taking the QO pick and and using that money to upgrade the team in other areas, I'd be fine with Joseph at the league minimum.[/quote']

This. ..I wouldn't tie up the Martin contact for Wieters.

Not at all comfortable with Joseph as the starter. I think his offense might settle in at a .650ish OPS for a few years, but he's not a +15 or +20 fielder. He's 29 next year, so it's not like we're counting on improvement. What you see is what you get. If the choice for 2016 is Wieters at 5/100 or 130 games of Joseph, I'll take whatever is behind door 3.

If we're going to spend money on a starting pitcher like Scherzer or Lester then I'm totally fine letting Weiters walk, but otherwise sign that man. Caleb Joseph was awful towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. Besides that stretch where he hit the home runs, he didn't produce that much either. He's most certainly a backup

I see Joseph as more of a platoon guy primarily against LHP (which I think he may do fairly against for a few years) and provide plus defense. So, maybe 50-70 games and we'd need a LHB complement. In short, I think we can get production from the catcher position fairly cheaply (with Joseph as part of that mix) without having to make a huge outlay to Wieters.

I think everyone here is pretty comfortable that Caleb Joseph can do a solid job as Matt Wieters' backup catcher in 2015. He played the majority of games after his call-up, earning more playing time (77 starts) than the more highly paid Nick Hundley (45). He controlled the running game well, and framed pitches well, though I think his pitch blocking left a bit to be desired. Overall, I think most of us would be comfortable with Joseph's defense even if he was the starting catcher.

So, I think the question is whether Joseph's defense is good enough to carry his offense as a starter, if Wieters leaves after the 2015 season. Joseph hit .207/.264/.354 last season. He ended the season in a horrific tailspin in which he finished 0 for 30 with 13 strikeouts. That sort of bookended the start of his season, in which he began the year 1 for 25. In between those bookends, he was a very credible .262/.311/.450.

Despite his offensive foibles, Joseph was worth 1.2 rWAR, 0.8 fWAR in 82 games. So, if Wieters leaves, are you comfortable rolling with Caleb as our starting catcher, or do we need to find a starter in the marketplace?

Side note: has anyone noticed that Syracuse's point guard is named Kaleb Joseph?

I have seen a study that indicates that it is pretty much a one or the other deal. Great framers tend to be poor at blocking and vice versa.

Not at all comfortable with Joseph as the starter. I think his offense might settle in at a .650ish OPS for a few years, but he's not a +15 or +20 fielder. He's 29 next year, so it's not like we're counting on improvement. What you see is what you get. If the choice for 2016 is Wieters at 5/100 or 130 games of Joseph, I'll take whatever is behind door 3.

This is where I'm at, but would definitely go with Caleb for 130 if I had to choose between the two options.

Side note: Screw Syracuse. Hoya Saxa.

I have seen a study that indicates that it is pretty much a one or the other deal. Great framers tend to be poor at blocking and vice versa.

Yeah, trying to hold your glove on the corner to catch a ball off the the corner with the very top of the webbing is going to inevitably result in some passed balls when men are on base. Personally, I prefer the old school way. Block it any way you can when men are on base. Nobody on? Sure, go ahead and frame it.

I'll get back to you and answer this after I see how Wieters is next year following the Surgery. My gut says Caleb is just a nice backup at this point, but we really may have no choice Weiters may not end up being the guy he was before the surgery there's NO guarantee.

I am not ready to pass judgement on Joseph at this point. He will be the O's backup in 2015. He progressed a lot in 2014 from what I can see and read. He probably can progress more.

I think Wieters with Boras will probably become a FA after the 2015 season and will probably ask for and get more money than the O's are willing to pay. So the O's will add a catcher for 2016. Who that catcher is and what his role will be is yet to be defined.

Archived