Orioles interested in signing Melky Cabrera as a fallback option

AlbionHero

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/orioles-interested-in-melky-cabrera-as-fallback-option.html

If the Orioles can?t re-sign Nick Markakis, the team?s ?fallback option? is to pursue free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera, MASNsports.com?s Roch Kubatko reports. Markakis and the O?s looked like they were headed towards a reunion earlier this winter when the two sides were seemingly close to a four-year contract, though there hasn?t since been much progress.

Isn't Melky actually better though?

Did he get a QO?

Yes, he did.

MLBTR's Steve Adams predicted Cabrera for a five-year, $66.25MM deal and Markakis for a four-year, $48MM deal in his Free Agent Profiles of both outfielders, so signing Cabrera would likely be a more expensive proposition for the Orioles and he'd cost them a draft pick due to the qualifying offer. If Cabrera’s market is depressed by the QO, however, it’s possible the Orioles could try to sign him for a relative bargain, as they did last winter with Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz.

Yeah, that makes more sense than signing Cabrera and giving up a pick.

I think we can all agree that this is a distinct possibility, but I'm interested to hear what people actually think of Melky vs. Markakis in terms of what makes us a better team. I like Nick, but I think Melky is a hits machine that plays okay enough defense (which could probably improve with Kirby's tutelage) that could do well in a power packed lineup like ours.

Archived