O's out on Andrew Miller... darn

MemorialStadKid

Well, looks like we need to find another solid bullpen arm.

According to Dan Connolly (who, earlier today, was first to break the news that hitting coach Jim Presley had been reassigned), Miller is in serious negotiations with eight to ten MLB teams ? and the O?s aren?t one of them.

Free agent lefty reliever Andrew Miller, who dominated for the Orioles down the stretch run and throughout the postseason, is negotiating seriously with eight to 10 teams.

And, according to an industry source, the Orioles are not one of them.

Many O?s fans will be quite upset at this news, but it?s really not very surprising. While if it was me, I?d have given Miller the money he wanted AND made him the closer (moving Zach Britton to a set up role), that never seemed likely for the Birds to do.

MSK

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles are never going to get in a bidding war with 8 or 10 teams. He is obviously going to get way overpaid so why does it surprise you the Orioles aren't involved?

Who was surprised?

I said "darn." Disappointment, not surprise.

I know we're likely going to go internal or sign someone under-the-radar who DD has been watching closely.

Moving on...

MSK

Did anyone actually expect the O's to even be a serious contender for his services?

I did not. But with the way the game is played now a days, where the bullpen, on good days, pitches 3 or 4 innings a game, a case could be made that good bullpens are nearly as valuable as SP. I say pay relievers accordingly. I realize with Hardy ,signed, Nick hopefully to be signed, and Cruz maybe to be signed, Miller was the odd man out. Really to bad.

Did anyone actually expect the O's to even be a serious contender for his services?

I know I did not at the kind of money he wanted and was likely to get.

Honestly I do not think that tying up 4/40+ for a reliever is a wise move for a team with the number of guys standing in line for contracts this team has. Davis, MW, Tillman, Norris, etc not to mention wanting to keep some future payroll flexibility to make Machado a very rich man.

Nothing surprising here. He was going to make the big money this offseason, regardless of his role, and if someone is going to give him closer money, he's going to take it. The Orioles don't need a closer, and even if they did, they weren't going to pay that money for him. He was flat out dominant for us, but the risk was always there from the get go that he wasn't going to come back, nothing surprising with the results. But man were his results on the field freaking sweet.

Archived