Pressbox: Paul Folkemer picks who will be non tendered

wildcard

Nice article by Paul. He weighs in on who the O's will non tendered. He looks at 4 players.

Chris Davis: Paul says "the Orioles will likely take the risk and tender Davis a 2015 contract. I agree.

Tommy Hunter: Paul says "so expect the O's to tender him a 2015 contract." I agree.

Alejandro De Aza: Paul believes it will depend on whether the O's sign Nick and Nelson. I disagree. The non tendered deadline in Dec 2nd and I think its doubtful the O's know if Nick and Nelson are coming back in a week. I think they tender De Aza.

Brian Matusz: Paul says " Matusz is the one most likely to get non-tendered." While I agree he is the most likely to be non tendered it really depends on whether the O's have found a cheap lefthanded replacement for Matusz that they believe they can acquire. The O's #1 acquisition priority other than Nick and Nelson is a lefthanded reliever. That certainly sounds like it puts Matusz in jeopardy. But have the O's found a replacement? I don't know.

Actually the player I think is most likely to be non tendered is not an arbitration eligible players. Its Steve Lombardozzi.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/2014/11/25/which-orioles-are-non-tender-candidates

I'd bet Matusz is the only player non-tendered. Hunter really put it together after losing the closers role and was dominant. Since losing the closers role he had a 1.77 ERA...not saying he'd have finished with that whether he started the year as a setup man or not but I think its worth signing him to a 4.5m deal. If the O's are able to trade him and think they can replace him with someone equivalent then so be it but it's not like he wasn't productive.

I have no reason to believe Tommy Hunter won't be here in 2015. He's a good reliever, just not a good closer. Don't let the start of his 2014 fool you into thinking he isn't a good reliever, it was simply a position he's not cut out for. Once he was removed he was money most of the season. I do, however, have no reason to believe Brian Matusz will be here in 2015. Even if they can't find an alternative, and I say this as someone whose defended Matusz many times, he simply wasn't as good at what he's supposed to be good at as in previous seasons, and he is someone whose getting expensive for his role. You could justify Tommy Hunter getting paid to be a middle/set up man, you can't justify Brian Matusz to be a usually reliable LOOGY.

Why? Lombo has options, so he costs next to nothing if he's stashed in the minors. He can be cut at any time at virtually no cost, so why do something at the non-tender deadline?

The signing of Rey Navarro pushes Lombo farther down the O's depth chart. Its not so much the money, its the roster spot. You are right that he can be released at any time but when the O's are setting the roster on Dec 2nd seems like a logical time to non tender him to me. If he stays on the roster on a split contract the O's are probably committing 100k in the minors to him. I doubt they do that.

The signing of Rey Navarro pushes Lombo farther down the O's depth chart. Its not so much the money, its the roster spot. You are right that he can be released at any time but when the O's are setting the roster on Dec 2nd seems like a logical time to non tender him to me. If he stays on the roster on a split contract the O's are probably committing 100k in the minors to him. I doubt they do that.

You might be right, but if they were going to cut him, why not cut him before the 40-man roster had to be set for the Rule 5 draft? In any event, we'll see what they do next Tuesday. (And I can't believe it's almost December already!)

You might be right, but if they were going to cut him, why not cut him before the 40-man roster had to be set for the Rule 5 draft? In any event, we'll see what they do next Tuesday. (And I can't believe it's almost December already!)

True, True, and TRUE!

Archived