I guess I'm a Braves fan now (secondarily), so what about them?

Frobby

With Nick's departure for the Braves, I expect I will take a rooting interest in them now in the NL, though I also root for the Nats in a mild way.

I haven't followed them that closely up to now, but was surprised to read a lot of comments suggesting they are starting a long-term rebuilding project. Really? They have at least a few good young players locked up long-term, and they are only one year removed from a 96-win season. It seems to me that 2014 was ruined when they had a bunch of young pitchers go down, but are they so irreparably damaged that major rebuilding is required?

I read a piece that said they are rebuilding for 2017, to launch their new stadium.

Pitching was actually not their problem at all, they were ranked 3rd in Runs Allowed and obviously, team ERA. So that's great.

The big big problem was offense. Only the Padres scored fewer runs than them last year in the NL. Not sure if swapping Heyward for Markakis really accomplishes anything.....i would think that's close to a wash offensively. But replacing a 6 WAR (bb-ref) player with a 2 WAR player is probably not going to get them closer to the goal.

If they keep running BJ Upton out there every day that can't be good either.

With Nick's departure for the Braves, I expect I will take a rooting interest in them now in the NL, though I also root for the Nats in a mild way.

I haven't followed them that closely up to now, but was surprised to read a lot of comments suggesting they are starting a long-term rebuilding project. Really? They have at least a few good young players locked up long-term, and they are only one year removed from a 96-win season. It seems to me that 2014 was ruined when they had a bunch of young pitchers go down, but are they so irreparably damaged that major rebuilding is required?

I like the Braves myself. I'll go to a game with you and cheer for them. Just not against the Orioles. I am absolutely with you. I even like John Hart!

I think they are mostly concerned with how the taxpayer fleecing...I mean stadium construction...is going on.

Seriously they appear caught between rebuilding and retooling which isn't a good place to be.

I'm not one of their taxpayers.

First of all - welcome to Frobby. I am also an O's fan first and Braves fan second. Growing up a Hank Aaron fan living in Maryland did that to me.

Atlanta is in rebuild mode - but not pure rebuild mode - otherwise they wouldn't have signed Nick. Their farm system is no better stacked than the O's, at this point.

They stayed in the race for a while last year thanks to their bullpen, but their starting pitching suffered too many injuries, and their lineup just didn't excel. Kimbrel is amazing, and is does make a difference having a dominant guy like that. Look for Gattis to become a big-time hitter now that he doesn't have to worry about catching. I'm waiting for Freddie Freeman to be the Chipper Jones of first basemen, and maybe that's happening. BJ Upton is an outstanding defensive CFer, so if he'd just hit okay, he'd be an asset, but this is 2 years of awful hitting - I can't explain why - I didn't expect great - just okay hitting. They've needed a legit 2nd baseman for how many years?

With the starters, it's a matter of who's healthy and who they keep. They've had a bunch of studs that just didn't stay healthy. Teheran is a legit ace. Wood, Miller, and Minor are a solid 2,3, and 4. They had Medlen, Beachy, Ervin Santana, Floyd, and Harang, but I don't if any of them are coming back. Those 5 when healthy would be a very nice rotation, but they're not on the 40 man roster. Santana rejected their qualifying offer, so they'll likely get a supplemental first for him, but I don't know the status of the other 4. I think Beachy is the one they are depending on the most for the future.

I like the Braves myself. I'll go to a game with you and cheer for them. Just not against the Orioles. I am absolutely with you. I even like John Hart!

It's a date, if you are willing to shlepp to DC for a game between the Nats and Braves. I have tickets to five games a year, three rows behind the visitor's dugout. Usually I manage to get the two O's-Nats games (used to be three), and then I don't care about the rest, but this year I'll be looking to load up on Braves games once I get my O's games taken care of.

It's a date, if you are willing to shlepp to DC for a game between the Nats and Braves. I have tickets to five games a year, three rows behind the visitor's dugout. Usually I manage to get the two O's-Nats games (used to be three), and then I don't care about the rest, but this year I'll be looking to load up on Braves games once I get my O's games taken care of.

Super! I'll be Nick and Jim's biggest fan.

What is this secondary fan thing? I don't understand that. I want all the non-Oriole teams to lose. Even when they're playing each other.

What is this secondary fan thing? I don't understand that. I want all the non-Oriole teams to lose. Even when they're playing each other.

There are some teams I dislike more than others. When other teams beat the teams I dislike, I am pleased.

Archived