BP Orioles Top 10

LookinUp

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25177

I only posted the public stuff because that's the rule, and it's all I have access to. #5 is a shock to me. Anyone capture any nuggets from the pay side that they could summarize?

The Top Ten

1. RHP Dylan Bundy

2. RHP Hunter Harvey

3. C Chance Sisco

4. 1B Christian Walker

5. CF Josh Hart

6. RHP Zach Davies

7. RHP Mike Wright

8. LHP Tim Berry

9. LHP Stephen Tarpley

10. OF Mike Yastrzemski

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stotle is going to have to log on and defend this list a little, especially Hart. But I guess I'm glad there is some credible publication that still thinks highly of him.

Hart snippets.

The Tools: 6+ run; 6+ potential glove; 5+ potential hit
Strengths: Excellent athlete; wiry frame with some room for growth, especially in lower half; easy plus runner; strong instincts in center; gets good jumps and reads; plus range into both gaps; routes have been rapidly improving; quick, efficient stroke; life in hands; capable of barreling up offerings hard; willing to use the whole field; can develop some power with more physical maturation.
The Year Ahead: The speedy centerfielder proved to be somewhat overmatched in his full-season debut, but a meniscus injury broke up his season and reports from later in the year did highlight some offensive improvement. Make no mistake, though, Hart is a long-term project, especially with the bat, where things may just be middle of the road for some time to come. However, the speed and potential with the glove give him a chance to be able to ride both tools up to the majors. A couple of evaluators spoken to for this list had extremely positive remarks about how quickly the defensive adjustments were implemented since signing and how the glove can impact the game down the line. Whether it’s just sitting at his floor as a reserve or reaching his full potential, at some point, Hart will have to hit. Some suggested that with increased comfort and more confidence to be aggressive with his swing, the 20-year-old can display the hard contact he flashed at time last season on a more consistent basis as soon as 2015. The belief here is that a more subtle progression will take place this season following a repeat assignment in the South Atlantic League. Positive results there will aid in building confidence before a decision is made as to whether the player is ready for a bump to the next level at some point in the summer.

Thanks, Stotle, I knew you'd come through! ;)

That is a nice, detailed report. Did you contribute at all to the Orioles evaluations? Would love to hear your thoughts on the overall state of the O's farm system.

Mellen has O's coverage so this was his baby. I shared thoughts as part of the construction process, but final rankings were Mellen's call and he was responsible for cross-checking industry sources in and out of the org and writing everything up. Full article also includes additional write-ups of three "On the Rise" guys (C Jonah Heim, 3B Jomar Reyes, and RHP Pat Connaughton) and three "Factors on the Farm", which are players that could contribute to the MLB club next year (OF Dariel Alvarez, RHP Tyler Wilson, and LHP Jason Gurka).

Overall, I think the system is a mid-tier collection that's fairly top heavy. I'd be shocked if Baltimore had more than 3 players in our top 101, and I think Sisco is borderline with his defensive positioning up in the air (the bat is legit, so he's certainly a high level prospect -- but with a deep low-minors at present I'm not sure he's slam dunk 101 yet). I see similarities with Milwaukee's system in that I do believe there are a lot of useful major league pieces, just not tons of impact.

BP does a mechanical breakdown of a prospect from each team as we wrap each division. Here is Ryan Parker's write-up on Sisco since (i) it's really positive, and (ii) Parker really knows his stuff and you should know who he is (@RA_Parker on twitter) -- embedded video so there might be references to a video that you obviously can't see here:

Chance Sisco has a fluid stroke that he repeats well, solid internal timing, and appears to time up pitches well from the limited film I’ve seen. Sisco’s hands work incredibly well. He’s got the right kind of length in his swing, getting the bat to the hitting zone quickly, and it comes through smoothly with good bat speed. He’s able to keep the bat through the zone, giving him a bigger timing window where he can make hard contact.

His batting practice swings look relaxed without being lazy. The ball jumps off his bat, even without him trying to muscle up or get tense. Talking with other scouts, Chance is able to take this same relaxed nature to game action, which is a huge positive. Not every hitter is able function without tightening up. Being so relaxed keeps all his actions loose and will allow his swing to work at maximum efficiency.

Sisco’s lower body hits all the checkpoints of a good swing, but it’s not exceptional like his upper half. He can get a bit “pushy” off his backside, instead of really firing through his back hip he just pushes forward. These are the swings where he ends up almost straight up and down.

Even if Sisco were not a catcher, I would still be extremely excited about the hitting potential in his bat. When watching film and talking to other scouts, articulating the emotions that Sisco’s bat evokes has proven to be a difficult task. This is meant in the best possible way, but Sisco’s swing is so good, it’s boring.

Currently he will hit for average and the power will show up slowly as he adds strength and durability to his lower body. Of the eight hitters mentioned thus far in this series, Sisco is the batter I would tell younger hitters to model themselves after. —Ryan Parker

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25166

Even if you're not a subscriber (though you should be) you should feel free to go to the rankings article linked in the top post in this thread and ask questions in the comments section so Mellen and other BP prospect team members see and might chime in. I'm happy to chat here for a bit but don't know how frequently I'll remember to check in with a lot going on right now.

Mellen has O's coverage so this was his baby. I shared thoughts as part of the construction process, but final rankings were Mellen's call and he was responsible for cross-checking industry sources in and out of the org and writing everything up. Full article also includes additional write-ups of three "On the Rise" guys (C Jonah Heim, 3B Jomar Reyes, and RHP Pat Connaughton) and three "Factors on the Farm", which are players that could contribute to the MLB club next year (OF Dariel Alvarez, RHP Tyler Wilson, and LHP Jason Gurka).

Overall, I think the system is a mid-tier collection that's fairly top heavy. I'd be shocked if Baltimore had more than 3 players in our top 101, and I think Sisco is borderline with his defensive positioning up in the air (the bat is legit, so he's certainly a high level prospect -- but with a deep low-minors at present I'm not sure he's slam dunk 101 yet). I see similarities with Milwaukee's system in that I do believe there are a lot of useful major league pieces, just not tons of impact.

BP does a mechanical breakdown of a prospect from each team as we wrap each division. Here is Ryan Parker's write-up on Sisco since (i) it's really positive, and (ii) Parker really knows his stuff and you should know who he is (@RA_Parker on twitter) -- embedded video so there might be references to a video that you obviously can't see here:

Even if you're not a subscriber (though you should be) you should feel free to go to the rankings article linked in the top post in this thread and ask questions in the comments section so Mellen and other BP prospect team members see and might chime in. I'm happy to chat here for a bit but don't know how frequently I'll remember to check in with a lot going on right now.

Thanks for this. We still have several years to trade Chance ;)

There is no reason he wouldn't be considered for this list. They just think he's not in the top ten.

Shows you how much difference there can be in these rankings. The Sickels list shown in another thread had Alvarez at 5, and didn't include Hart in the top 20!!

Is Alvarez not on the list because he is not good enough to make the top 10 or because he is too old and not considered a prospect?

He was eligible; got written up in the piece as part of the Factors on the Farm section, which covers prospect assets that could help out the big league club next year.

He was eligible; got written up in the piece as part of the Factors on the Farm section, which covers prospect assets that could help out the big league club next year.

This seems like a good thing for the O's. To think that there are 10 guys better than Alvarez when he showed average, power, and good defense last year in the upper minors is a good thing.

Are the Os really a mid-tier system? After graduating Gausman and Schoop and dealing EdRod, passing on a first, supplemental first and second round picks?

That would be pretty good news, IMO. Seems difficult to conclude anything other than the system (or at least a few prospects) was a lot better than given credit for a year ago. Thoughts?

Are the Os really a mid-tier system? After graduating Gausman and Schoop and dealing EdRod, passing on a first, supplemental first and second round picks?

That would be pretty good news, IMO. Seems difficult to conclude anything other than the system (or at least a few prospects) was a lot better than given credit for a year ago. Thoughts?

It hinges on Harvey/Bundy and what they look like come spring. If healthy, having two top 25 prospects is significant, and there are a half dozen pieces that should contribute soon in some way. We had the org at 12 last year -- it is much closer to 20 than 10, but probably still in that middle third tier. If next year rolls around and Harvey is on the shelf, Bundy's stuff doesn't fully return, and Sisco is out in an outfield corner, it looks a lot bleaker.

This seems like a good thing for the O's. To think that there are 10 guys better than Alvarez when he showed average, power, and good defense last year in the upper minors is a good thing.

I guess. Or Alvarez is just an okay 26-year-old major league piece that can provide some useful innings in a reserve capacity. It's nice to have that wrapped in a cheap price tag, but it doesn't really move the needle as far as the ability of the team to compete.

Archived