Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

432 BABIP. Currently 9th in MLB.

That mark would have been the highest in the majors (among qualifiers) last year by 0.059. And about 130 points above the level he's established the last 3-4 years. That mark would also set a post-1900 record, as the last person to BABIP greater than .432 was Hugh Duffy in 1894. I hope Nick does well when he's not playing the Orioles, but BABIPing .432 is just a wee bit unsustainable.

Let me preface what I am about to say by saying that I haven't seen a single at bat Nick has had since Opening Day.

That said, I don't find BABIP very meaningful in small samples. In a small sample, sometimes a high BABIP is a matter of luck, and sometimes it's a function of hitting the ball extremely hard and on the nose. I don't know which it is (or both) for Nick right now. I do know that he's only struck out twice in his last 34 PA, while drawing 7 walks, so it appears he is seeing the ball quite well right now.

I was just playing point-counter point with you.

The results thus far have been very good for Nick.

Let me preface what I am about to say by saying that I haven't seen a single at bat Nick has had since Opening Day.

That said, I don't find BABIP very meaningful in small samples. In a small sample, sometimes a high BABIP is a matter of luck, and sometimes it's a function of hitting the ball extremely hard and on the nose. I don't know which it is (or both) for Nick right now. I do know that he's only struck out twice in his last 34 PA, while drawing 7 walks, so it appears he is seeing the ball quite well right now.

Like almost anything else BABIP is subject to random fluctuations caused by any number of things. And it usually trends back towards recently-weighted career averages. Maybe Nick is dialed in, maybe he's got good luck, maybe he's feeling better after surgery, or more likely a combination of things. I wish him well, but he ain't hitting .373 this year.

Like almost anything else BABIP is subject to random fluctuations caused by any number of things. And it usually trends back towards recently-weighted career averages. Maybe Nick is dialed in, maybe he's got good luck, maybe he's feeling better after surgery, or more likely a combination of things. I wish him well, but he ain't hitting .373 this year.

Maybe they keep shifting on him.

I think that is something we can all agree on. I'm not really counting on Adam Jones to hit .424, either.

I think that is something we can all agree on. I'm not really counting on Adam Jones to hit .424, either.

.424 is the all time Oriole record, set by Willie Keeler in 1897. I wouldn't really mind Adam tying it... :) The whole time I was growing up the record was .432, but somewhere along the way those retrosheet guys discovered an error, probably a double-counting of some hits, and Willie lost eight points of BA. It is kind of funny, if you go to Retrosheet right now and list all time qualified single-season BA leaders Jones and Keeler are tied for 9th place, since you only need about 46 PAs to qualify this year.

o

Michael Kay (YES) stated that Balfour was release by the Rays today.

After Balfour was DFA'd, 10 days passed, and not one of the other 29 major league teams wanted him.

And the Rays don't want him playing for their AAA-Durham Bulls, either.

In doing so, the D-Rays have eaten $7 Million.

Rays Release Grant Balfour, Eat $7 Million

(Michael Gleeman)

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/29/rays-release-grant-balfour-eat-7-million/

o

Michael Kay (YES) stated that Balfour was release by the Rays today.

After Balfour was DFA'd, 10 days passed, and not one of the other 29 major league teams wanted him.

And the Rays don't want him playing for their AAA-Durham Bulls, either.

In doing so, the D-Rays have eaten $7 Million.

Rays Release Grant Balfour, Eat $7 Million

(Michael Gleeman)

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/29/rays-release-grant-balfour-eat-7-million/

I remember reading that Balfour doesn't want to play for a minor league team this year.