Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Mosley actually served as a mentor/kicking coach to some of the Hokies ' straight on kickers as we were one of the last, it was probably one of the guys Drungo mentioned, who was from northern Virginia where Mosley lived and Mosley had mentored him since high school.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The Nick signing remains a mystery to me as the Braves seem to be preparing for a protracted rebuild process. Andrelton Simmons (baseball's top defender) is on the block (supposedly to an unnamed NL West team not named the Giants), ace Julio Teheran is on the block, Mike Minor is available, Cameron Maybin is available. Not really understanding this, because they traded their top prospect for Hector Olivera - who they thought was going to be their 3rd baseman but turns out to be so bad there that they're having him move to corner OF - assuming he stays healthy for a change. And never understood why they acquired Swisher and Bourn. It's looking like a real mess in the Atl.

I would be interested in seeing a list of 4-year free agent contracts where the player accrued under 2 WAR in the first season of the contract while playing 140+ games. I can't imagine that many such deals were considered successes after the fact.

The fact that a team with no intention of winning for the first two years of his contract ultimately signed him makes the deal all the more baffling.

If I were the Braves I'd be very wary of his .338 BABIP despite a LD% right at his career average, since that drove his value up to 1.6 fWAR. If he repeats the .290-something BABIP he had in 2013 and 2014 he'll have a poor year, probably a sub-one-win year. This year did nothing to change my mind that a 4/44 deal was a significant overpay. My Worlds Simplest Contract Estimator has him worth 3/21 until he slips below replacement level, and that's assuming you want anything to do with a three year deal for three wins.

• Upvote 1

The Nick signing remains a mystery to me as the Braves seem to be preparing for a protracted rebuild process. Andrelton Simmons (baseball's top defender) is on the block (supposedly to an unnamed NL West team not named the Giants), ace Julio Teheran is on the block, Mike Minor is available, Cameron Maybin is available. Not really understanding this, because they traded their top prospect for Hector Olivera - who they thought was going to be their 3rd baseman but turns out to be so bad there that they're having him move to corner OF - assuming he stays healthy for a change. And never understood why they acquired Swisher and Bourn. It's looking like a real mess in the Atl.

Classic case of man crush.

Wow, speak of the devil. Who's next?

I almost want to post a poll that says "would you trade an Orioles organizational 5-10 prospect for Nick Markakis and $10M?" Frobby would probably respond with "hell yes, and I'd even throw some cash in instead of expecting it back."

Nope. I'll defend Nick until the cows come home, but I'm not in favor of trading a good prospect to get him. I'm slightly nervous that a year from now we may be in the same position as Atlanta was last winter (i.e., starting a rebuild).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mosley actually served as a mentor/kicking coach to some of the Hokies ' straight on kickers as we were one of the last, it was probably one of the guys Drungo mentioned, who was from northern Virginia where Mosley lived and Mosley had mentored him since high school.

One last straight-on kicking aside... I completely forgot to mention the other Hokie conventional kicker from the 80s - Chris Kinzer. Before Shayne Graham's field goal to win the '99 WVU game when you said "the kick" everyone at Tech knew you were talking about Kinzer's 40-yard FG as time expired to win the 1986 Peach Bowl over NC State. Straight-on with his toe from the right hash mark to win the Hokies' first ever bowl game.

One last straight-on kicking aside... I completely forgot to mention the other Hokie conventional kicker from the 80s - Chris Kinzer. Before Shayne Graham's field goal to win the '99 WVU game when you said "the kick" everyone at Tech knew you were talking about Kinzer's 42-yard FG as time expired to win the 1986 Peach Bowl over NC State. Straight-on with his toe from the right hash mark to win the Hokies' first ever bowl game.

We stormed the muddy field at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium after the kick. Spotted where the Braves dugout was. Found a women's shoe on the field in the mud right near where Kinzer had just made the kick from. My friend Bob was the best athlete of our bunch, would later try out to walk on as a punter for Beamer (Beamer said he had the leg but Bob was a Jr by that point and Beamer said it would take a year to teach him all the proper techniques so it wasn't worth it). Anyway, back to the field in Atlanta....we were all a bit drunk. I teed up the women's shoe and Bob tried to duplicate Kinzer's kick. It didn't go very far.