Charlie Manuel - the Latest Candidate for Hitting Coach

TonySoprano

Manuel initially declined the Orioles' offer, which came after they reassigned Jim Presley within the organization last month, but he remains atop their list of candidates.

Others considered, including Voldemort

The Orioles have a shortage of internal candidates. They interviewed Jeff Manto, the former White Sox hitting coach who currently serves as the Orioles minor league hitting coordinator, but couldn't convince part-time instructor B.J. Surhoff to consider the job. Triple-A Norfolk hitting coach Denny Walling retired to spend more time with his family.

Jim Thome declined a chance to interview with the Orioles. Raul Ibanez informed the club that he'd sit out a year if he didn't get the Rays' managing job, and later withdrew his name from consideration. Harold Baines wanted to stay in Chicago. Melvin Mora was briefly considered.

The Rangers wouldn't give the Orioles permission to interview Scott Coolbaugh, their minor league hitting coordinator.

source - Roch

Enthusiasm is overrated. I'll go with skill and experience.

There have been times here at my job where I would have fired all the old guys and replaced them with engineers fresh out of college who aren't jaded and bitter. What you lose in experience you gain in a bunch of other ways. Instead of telling me the 25 ways the gubment will keep you from doing your job the young 'uns just go do it.

There have been times here at my job where I would have fired all the old guys and replaced them with engineers fresh out of college who aren't jaded and bitter. What you lose in experience you gain in a bunch of other ways. Instead of telling me the 25 ways the gubment will keep you from doing your job the young 'uns just go do it.

I can see that being the case. Charlie never seemed jaded to me.

Of all the coaching positions, hitting coach requires the most time and generates the least appreciation relative to the effort put into it.

As a 61 year old, I can't imagine why a 71 year old would put himself through that grind. I could see him being the Director of Hitting (or some such title) who manages all the hitting coaches in the organization and travels only on special occasions, but the hitting coach job needs someone with tremendous energy, persistence, and a very thick skin. I'm sure Charlie has the latter two, but the energy?

How dare the Rangers not give the Orioles permission to interview their minor league hitting coordinator!!! Does Ken Rosenthal know about this?!? IT'S A PROMOTION!!!!1!1!!!

I asked Ken about it, I don't know how to make fancy Twitter images appear on the board but here is his response:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/544890772747993088

Archived