Should the O's target Steven Souza?

Tony-OH

The Washington Nationals have a crowded outfield and Steven Souza doesn't look like he'll be able to break in anytime soon without an injury.

Souza is a big guy as a good arm who might be able to play RF or DH for the O's. He's been a fantastic minor league hitter and 26 next season, he's needs an extended chance in the big leagues.

Do you think he's available and if he is, who would the Nats want for him?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Washington Nationals have a crowded outfield and Steven Souza doesn't look like he'll be able to break in anytime soon without an injury.

Souza is a big guy as a good arm who might be able to play RF or DH for the O's. He's been a fantastic minor league hitter and 26 next season, he's needs an extended chance in the big leagues.

The Nats would want the O's to accept the MLB arbitration decision on TV rights in exchange for Souza. Seriously, I don't know how much those teams will be trading players until they are out of court.

I have no idea if he's available but if he is this is the kind of guy we should be targeting. Just looking at his numbers in the minors he's improved his OBP and his SLG at every level. What's not to like? I suppose if there is a concern it's the defense where he committed 4 errors in just 88 games in the OF. Seems like a lot.

I wonder has anyone seen him play on a regular basis at Syracuse or is there a current scouting report on him.

Guest rochester

What am I missing here - the guy can also run - 28 out of 35 last year (80%). Stats look good but only has a cup o' coffee and is 26?

What am I missing here - the guy can also run - 28 out of 35 last year (80%). Stats look good but only has a cup o' coffee and is 26?

From a John Sickels write up on Souza when the Nats called him up last season:

His progress through the minors was slowed by injuries, trouble with his swing, a failed attempt to play third base, inadequate strike zone judgment, a PED suspension in 2010, and persistent questions from evaluators about his makeup.

That's why he's been slow moving at least. The on field struggles are reflected in his stats. He didn't have a statistically strong season until 2012 and was still in A+. The likely reason he hasn't had more than a cup of coffee even after his huge recent seasons is because the Nats have generally had a filled OF the past two seasons.

According to this article the Nats were reluctant to trade him at the deadline last season despite receiving interest in him. I imagine their stance hasn't changed much and they'd probably need to get a significant return to move him.

Guest rochester
From a John Sickels write up on Souza when the Nats called him up last season:

That's why he's been slow moving at least. The on field struggles are reflected in his stats. He didn't have a statistically strong season until 2012 and was still in A+. The likely reason he hasn't had more than a cup of coffee even after his huge recent seasons is because the Nats have generally had a filled OF the past two seasons.

According to this article the Nats were reluctant to trade him at the deadline last season despite receiving interest in him. I imagine their stance hasn't changed much and they'd probably need to get a significant return to move him.

wow.... thanks for finding that. It also states

"However, he seemed to get his life in some measure of order in 2012 and has been blasting the ball ever since, posting a .297/.366/.572 line in A-ball in '12, a 161 wRC+ (slash line .300/.396/.557 with 20 steals) in Double-A in 2013, and the aforementioned destruction of Triple-A this year. His approach at the plate has improved greatly compared to earlier in his career, and the tools have always been there."

With his "maturity" issues, which we could use as in discussions "You really don't want another Harper do you?" :) I find this potential opportunity as one we should explore. Plus, IMO, Buck seems to handle "immaturity" very well....

Archived