Why did Dan sign Ubaldo?

Diehard_O's_Fan

I don't know about you Oriole fans but I don't understand why Dan signed Ubaldo. While Dan has been with the Orioles he has not even considered signing high priced over rated guys like Ubaldo. Dan is the master at low cost savy under the radar moves. I am seriously wondering if Dan was drunk or held at gun point when he signed Ubaldo. He just does not make stupid decisions like this. It really ticks me off that the Orioles might have to trade a good pitcher like Norris or Chen to make room for a terrible pitcher like Ubaldo. Why did you sign him Dan? Why? It makes no sense. Can you explain Oriole fans?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about you Oriole fans but I don't understand why Dan signed Ubaldo. While Dan has been with the Orioles he has not even considered signing high priced over rated guys like Ubaldo. Dan is the master at low cost wavy under the radar moves. I am seriously wondering if Dan was drunk or held at gun point when he signed Ubaldo. He just does not make stupid decisions like this. It really ticks me off that the Orioles might have to trade a good pitcher like Norris or Chen to make room for a terrible pitcher like Ubaldo. Why did you sign him Dan? Why? It makes no sense. Can you explain.

I seriously doubt Duq reads this board. Even if he did, do you expect him to create an account and reply?

I think maybe he felt Ubaldo turned the corner during his last season in Cleveland. Ubaldo can be dominating when he can throw the ball over the plate, and I'm thinking Dan thought he was going to be the guy to put this rotation over the top.

I'm still holding out that Ubaldo will find himself this year.

I think Dan was happy that Ubaldo fell into his lap at the price he got him for. If he would have performed anywhere close to his 2nd half numbers, he would have been a steal.

The good thing is that his contract isn't a complete albatross. A mid market team like us can afford one medium sized deal that isn't team friendly.

Because:

1. The consensus was that we needed a starter going into last season.

2. Jimenez and Ervin Santana were more or less considered to be valued similar.

3. Ubaldo took the deal.

It was the exact same consideration between Cruz and Morales. Two guys for one job. Get what Dan considered to be the best deal, sign it and move on. That's what he did.

I think Dan was happy that Ubaldo fell into his lap at the price he got him for. If he would have performed anywhere close to his 2nd half numbers, he would have been a steal.

The good thing is that his contract isn't a complete alcatraz. A mid market team like us can afford one medium sized deal that isn't team friendly.

Lol. I think you mean Albatross.

Over the previous six seasons Ubaldo had been worth 22 fWAR and change. Averaged about over three wins per season, with peak performances that were on par with some of the better pitchers in the league. Had only had one truly off year since 2007. Seemed like a very good bet to be somewhere between an average-ish pitcher at 2+ WAR and some chance of being a real top-of-the-rotation starter worth 5+ WAR. His contract was 4/50, paying him for roughly two wins per year (or, a number he exceeded in five of the previous six years - at least in fWAR terms. RA-based WAR formulations would be a bit less optimistic). It hasn't worked out so far, but it was a pretty reasonable deal from my perspective.

I think maybe he felt Ubaldo turned the corner during his last season in Cleveland. Ubaldo can be dominating when he can throw the ball over the plate, and I'm thinking Dan thought he was going to be the guy to put this rotation over the top.

I'm still holding out that Ubaldo will find himself this year.

Hopefully. He was really good from 2009-11 and 2013, but lost in 2012. Even if he just bounces back to an average starter he'll be worth the contract.

Archived