srock

Ryan Webb last 3 years.

<PRE>

Year Age Tm ERA IP ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2012 26 MIA 4.03 60.1 102 3.26 1.525 10.7 0.3 3.0 6.6 2.20

2013 27 MIA 2.91 80.1 133 3.60 1.207 7.8 0.6 3.0 6.0 2.00

2014 28 BAL 3.83 49.1 101 2.95 1.257 9.1 0.4 2.2 6.8 3.08

</PRE>

Provided by <a href="http://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Baseball-Reference.com</a>: <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/webbry01.shtml?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#pitching_standard">View Original Table</a><br>Generated 12/17/2014.

Was his drop in IP last year primary due to the rest of the bullpen being so good? Because he has been decent and I think he should contribute more in 2015. His FIP was fabulous last year!

He is making $2.75 million in 2015.

Ryan Webb last 3 years.

<PRE>

Year Age Tm ERA IP ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

2012 26 MIA 4.03 60.1 102 3.26 1.525 10.7 0.3 3.0 6.6 2.20

2013 27 MIA 2.91 80.1 133 3.60 1.207 7.8 0.6 3.0 6.0 2.00

2014 28 BAL 3.83 49.1 101 2.95 1.257 9.1 0.4 2.2 6.8 3.08

</PRE>

Provided by <a href="http://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Baseball-Reference.com</a>: <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/webbry01.shtml?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#pitching_standard">View Original Table</a><br>Generated 12/17/2014.

Was his drop in IP last year primary due to the rest of the bullpen being so good? Because he has been decent and I think he should contribute more in 2015. His FIP was fabulous last year!

He is making $2.75 million in 2015.

This explains part of it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=webb--002rya

He seemed to go through a kind of dead arm period as the season wore on. When we picked up Andrew Miller and Ubaldo got moved to the bullpen, he was squeezed and got optioned for a while and pitched 11 IP at Norfolk. So yes, combination of other options and I am guessing arm fatigue.

I expect to see a lot of Webb this year. Someone may correct me, but I believe he will now be out of options so he will stay with the big club unless he struggles badly enough to DFA.

I think Webb will be part of the opening day bullpen along with Britton, Hunter, O'Day, Brach and Wright. I think Matusz takes one of the other two positions unless dealt.

I think Webb will be asked to be an important part of the pen this year and hopefully can produce like he did most of 2014 and not fall off the table when it matters most. All in all, I like the depth we have in the pen and would like to see more come January and February when guys are out there and able to be brought in on minor league deals for even more depth.

He got real sucky real quick and the O's did a good job recognizing it early and optioning the crap out of him. That's what the deal is.

He was good for a good part of the year, though, and is a nice depth option.

Like all relievers not named Mariano, he was fickle. And yes, that includes Mr. Miller. You just don't know with relievers from year to year or month to month.

Like all relievers not named Mariano, he was fickle. And yes, that includes Mr. Miller. You just don't know with relievers from year to year or month to month.

Well, yeah, but what you want are relievers that are doing well more often than not, and Webb fits that description.

1.257 WHIP, 9.1 H/9, 0.4 HR/9, 2.2 BB/9, 6.8 K/9

Pretty good season, a bit better than career average, although the ERA doesn't show that.

I think Webb will be part of the opening day bullpen along with Britton, Hunter, O'Day, Brach and Wright. I think Matusz takes one of the other two positions unless dealt.

I think Webb will be asked to be an important part of the pen this year and hopefully can produce like he did most of 2014 and not fall off the table when it matters most. All in all, I like the depth we have in the pen and would like to see more come January and February when guys are out there and able to be brought in on minor league deals for even more depth.

I think it highly doubtful that Wright is in the opening day bullpen. Too many people ahead of him and better to keep him starting for depth.

Well, yeah, but what you want are relievers that are doing well more often than not, and Webb fits that description.

1.257 WHIP, 9.1 H/9, 0.4 HR/9, 2.2 BB/9, 6.8 K/9

Pretty good season, a bit better than career average, although the ERA doesn't show that.

Most years, most teams that guy stays in the majors all year. This team, that year, there were even better options.

He's not a nugget. Look for the O's to try and move him if possible. Even if Matusz is traded, and not counting the Rule 5 guys, it's a bit crowded in the pen.

Britton

Wright

Hunter

O'Day

Brach

McFarland

Webb

The 6th starter

I'm sure the O's are hoping one of the Rule 5 guys shows enough to make the 25 man roster too.

I don't believe in the theory of a sixth starter. Something will change that.

Archived