Is now the time to extend Bud?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Volquez just signed a $2/20. Is now the time to sign Bud. He will probablh get $9m this year. What about a 3/30 for Norris? I really want to keep Bud and I think Boras will push Chen out of the O's budget anyhow.

Can a mod change the title to " Is now the time to extend Bud"?

Volquez just signed a $2/20. Is now the time to sign Bud. He will probablh get $9m this year. What about a 3/30 for Norris? I really want to keep Bud and I think Boras will push Chen out of the O's budget anyhow.
I like Bud and I would be happy to see Os management extend him for a reasonable length -- in other words, not 5 or 6 years, and even 4 years would be questionable.

No. With all the pitchers we have coming up, we have to have somebody who can put up between a 1.5 and 2 WAR season for less than market value. At least I hope the farm isn't that bad.

No. With all the pitchers we have coming up' date=' we have to have somebody who can put up between a 1.5 and 2 WAR season for less than market value. At least I hope the farm isn't that bad.[/quote']

Adam Loewen, Hayden Penn, Matusz...

Sign him, you can always trade him with that contract if Guas Bundy Wright Harvey pan out...

He's not a nugget. Take the pick after this year.

Bud is a guy who gets maybe 3/30 or 3/36 on the open market, if that much. If he has a first round pick attached to him no one is going to touch him at those prices unless they go brain dead like the Mets FO. I'd be willing to bet he never gets a qualifying offer. If he does get one, he should accept it.

Obviously, if a few prospects fail, they're all doomed to fail.

A few? Name a few good arms who have succeeded recently? For every one Jim Johnson, there have been three failures. What is the harm of signing a guy who has proven to do well in the majors to a team friendly deal?

We had good prospects coming through the system who failed... Just saying. Signing him to a reasonable contact, if we can, leaves open the opportunity to trade him.

There's always going to be prospects that fail. No team has a 100% success rate.

But is now the time to extend a guy who coming into this year, many thought would get moved to the bullpen? Bud Norris is a nice addition. But this organization, as much emphasis and selections as they have put into it, has to be at the point where they no longer have to go out and acquire the Bud Norrises of the world. At least I really hope we are.

Archived