MLB/Cuba relations

Jdonn

I realize this is extremely premature, but what is the potential for MLB in Cuba going forward? Logistically speaking would it make sense for some sort of "peninsula league" of short season single a teams based in Cuba and Florida? Or maybe a Cuban winter ball league?

I'm pretty excited about the potential to go to games in Havana, even if it's just to watch their players or maybe some spring training exhibition games.

IF it were logistically possible to get a few minor league teams there, there's enough talent in that country that a team could conceiveably stock their entire roster with unsigned free agents who are currently toiling in sugar cane fields.

After thinking about it I don't know if there would be anywhere near enough money in that country to support an MLB team. Not for years at least. But a minor league team? Maybe... It would take some reconfiguration of affiliates locations, and the leagues. Teams would probably be best served to invest in some boats too. Ha

After thinking about it I don't know if there would be anywhere near enough money in that country to support an MLB team. Not for years at least. But a minor league team? Maybe... It would take some reconfiguration of affiliates locations, and the leagues. Teams would probably be best served to invest in some boats too. Ha

Most likely (if relations rally opened up) most likely the money would come from outside of the country.

If your talking about fans and gate receipts... Cuba is baseball mad! They would FILL the stadium, if they could. But the price might be prohibitive. It's an interesting situation.

If your talking about fans and gate receipts... Cuba is baseball mad! They would FILL the stadium, if they could. But the price might be prohibitive. It's an interesting situation.

I think it would be cost prohibitive for most of the population for a major league team. But the marlins or rays could move there, charge a nickel per ticket and probably wouldn't do worse.

Anything like this is years away though.

You know what's an interesting thought? How much different the world would be if Castro had hooked up with a club.

Archived