Allen Craig?

theobird

Allen Craig - OF - Red Sox

According to FOX Sports' Jon Morosi, the Red Sox are in "active" Allen Craig trade talks with at least one team.

Craig batted just .128/.234/.191 in 107 plate appearances after the July 31 trade that sent he and Joe Kelly from the Cardinals to the Red Sox for John Lackey. Craig hasn't been the same since suffering a Lisfranc foot injury late in the 2013 season and he's owed $26.5 million over the next three years. Boston probably won't be able to get much in return.

Hell I want him for my Cubs. The guy was a good to great offensive player prior to 2014 and it seems truly odd that in the middle of his prime he'd fall off a cliff performance wise without some type of injury. I can't imagine he's particularly expensive. You could probably throw a top 10 guy and a guy that's 20-30 in the system and snag him. Assuming that the Red Sox will work a trade in their division that is.

This is definitely a move that i take a gamble on, but it may be too big of a gamble for the Orioles front office who love taking fliers, but not so much to this scale.

If he can return to form, that's throwing an .820-.840 OPS bat into the heart of the order. He would replace Cruz very adequately. The issues is that it is a HUGE 'if' based on last season.

Hell I want him for my Cubs. The guy was a good to great offensive player prior to 2014 and it seems truly odd that in the middle of his prime he'd fall off a cliff performance wise without some type of injury. I can't imagine he's particularly expensive. You could probably throw a top 10 guy and a guy that's 20-30 in the system and snag him. Assuming that the Red Sox will work a trade in their division that is.

Why on earth would anyone offer that? Red Sox will probably take virtually any offer to get him pff their roster and keep the amount they have to eat to a reasonable level. I strongly doubt that any team offers a top ten prospect.

Why on earth would anyone offer that? Red Sox will probably take virtually any offer to get him pff their roster and keep the amount they have to eat to a reasonable level. I strongly doubt that any team offers a top ten prospect.

I would offer Matusz and see if they bite.

Because he's not yet a salary dump. He's coming off a very bad, supposedly injury aided year. You're looking at someone like a 24 year old Yastrzemski with a 4th OFer ceiling who has yet to see AAA. It's not that big of a deal.

Because he's not yet a salary dump. He's coming off a very bad, supposedly injury aided year. You're looking at someone like a 24 year old Yastrzemski with a 4th OFer ceiling who has yet to see AAA. It's not that big of a deal.

Well, the Red Sox certainly hope you're right. The fact that he is still a Red Sox certainly indicates otherwise, however. There is no indication of a market developing for Craig. I think GMs, in general, want to keep their jobs.

2015 30 Boston Red Sox $5,500,000

2016 31 Boston Red Sox $9,000,000

2017 32 Boston Red Sox $11,000,000

2018 33 Boston Red Sox *$13,000,000 $13M Team Option, $1M Buyout

That's nothing in today's baseball. Guy has had 1 bad year in baseball and everyone wants to kill him.

No kidding. If he didn't have a down year in 2014 he would never be available because his contract was an absolute steal up until that point.

2011: .917OPS 2.4fWAR

2012: .876OPS 2.7fWAR

2013: .830OPS 2.5fWAR

Archived