Curt Schilling

Jason Schmidt

Gary Sheffield

Lee Smith

John Smoltz

Sammy Sosa

Alan Trammell

Larry Walker.

I won't be updating percentages as this goes along to keep from influencing voting. We'll close this midnight 12/31.

Total Ballots: 7

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are those eligible:

Jeff Bagwell

Craig Biggio

Randy Johnson

Edgar Martinez

Pedro Martinez

Mike Mussina

Mike Piazza

Tim Raines

Curt Schilling

John Smoltz

Alan Trammell

Larry Walker

What a ridiculous ballot. I could vote for 22 names if there were no cap. We are voting for twelve right?

Jeff Bagwell

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

Randy Johnson

Pedro Martinez

Mike Mussina

Mike Piazza

Tim Raines

Curt Schilling

John Smoltz

I guess I've become a lot more of a small ballot guy in recent years. I'm not sure I'd vote for the guys I left out with a bigger ballot. Been a huge Raines supporter for years and now I'm kinda iffy on him. Definitely a lot less strict and dogmatic about the limited criteria I used to use.

Jeff Bagwell

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

Randy Johnson

Pedro Martinez

Mike Mussina

Mike Piazza

Tim Raines

Curt Schilling

John Smoltz

I guess I've become a lot more of a small ballot guy in recent years. I'm not sure I'd vote for the guys I left out with a bigger ballot. Been a huge Raines supporter for years and now I'm kinda iffy on him. Definitely a lot less strict and dogmatic about the limited criteria I used to use.

What has happened to sour you on Raines?

Jeff Bagwell

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

Edgar Martinez

Mark McGwire

Mike Mussina

Mike Piazza

Tim Raines

Alan Trammell

Larry Walker

There are clearly 16+ excellent candidates on this ballot, so I voted for the players who needed the votes to at least stay on the ballot. I find it ridiculous that you have to strategically vote and avoid voting for the most worthy candidates (they'll make it or at least stay on the ballot without my vote), but for the purposes of this exercise I think that's best. My real hope is that the turn over the whole process in a few years to something more reasonable.

The current system is wholly unprepared for the coming onslaught of candidates well above the de facto standards set by those already inducted.

What a ridiculous ballot. I could vote for 22 names if there were no cap. We are voting for twelve right?

I don't understand why anyone would vote for less than the maximum unless it's some kind of protest vote. Whomever you'd pick as the 15th-best player on this ballot is going to be way above a reasonable threshold for induction.

You can only vote for 10 if you're going by the BBWAA format.

Jeff Bagwell

Craig Biggio

Randy Johnson

Pedro Maritinez

Fred McGriff

Mike Mussina

Mike Piazza

Tim Raines

Curt Schilling

John Smoltz

Unlimited, I would add Bonds and Clemens...they can wait for now. I'd also add Alan Trammell and I'm not entirely against Don Mattingly, but those guys have become wasted votes.

I've pretty much come up with my own system, and My Hall of Fame for players that debuted from 1984 to 1995 is:

SP- Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Mussina, Johnson, Martinez, Schilling

RP- Rivera

OF- Bonds, Griffey, Ramirez, Puckett

3B- Jones, A Rodriguez

SS- Larkin, Jeter

2B- Alomar, Biggio

1B- Thomas, Bagwell, Thome, McGriff

C - Piazza, I Rodriguez

Obviously, a couple of these guys aren't ever getting in, but I think this group represents the best-of-the-best without going overboard. In my opinion, if you put 35-40 guys from this time period in, you're only rewarding guys because they took steroids-McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, and Sheffield immediately come to mind.

For some guys I can separate it out, for others, not a chance.

Jeff Bagwell

Barry Bonds

Roger Clemens

Edgar Martinez

Mark McGwire

Mike Mussina

Mike Piazza

Tim Raines

Alan Trammell

Larry Walker

There are clearly 16+ excellent candidates on this ballot, so I voted for the players who needed the votes to at least stay on the ballot. I find it ridiculous that you have to strategically vote and avoid voting for the most worthy candidates (they'll make it or at least stay on the ballot without my vote), but for the purposes of this exercise I think that's best. My real hope is that the turn over the whole process in a few years to something more reasonable.

The current system is wholly unprepared for the coming onslaught of candidates well above the de facto standards set by those already inducted.

No Pedro?

Bonds

Clemens

Pedro

Johnson

Piazza

Raines

Bagwell

Mussina

Edgar

Biggio

I don't understand why anyone would vote for less than the maximum unless it's some kind of protest vote. Whomever you'd pick as the 15th-best player on this ballot is going to be way above a reasonable threshold for induction.

Well, I think that perhaps you do understand it. You may not agree with the reason, but I think you do understand why Bonds, Clemens, Sheffield, Sosa, and McGwire are names that are left off of a lot of ballots.

Additionally, I think that perhaps you are overstating your case a bit by saying there are more than 15 that are unquestionably deserving. Pointing out that there are a handful of undeserving HOFers is no reason to enshrine everyone who did as well as they did. Why "correct" a problem by increasing the number of undeserving HOFers tenfold?

There are always going to be disagreements on borderline cases, whether they are voted in or left out. That is a given.

Archived