Anyone Else Getting Excited about Manny?

SticksandStones

I know the knees are extremely worrisome, but I cant help but be giddy about him running the bases today, on January 14th. He took BP, ran the bases, and said he "feels like God" after his Wedding and Honeymoon. If any one player can make me feel better about this team in 2015, its Manny Machado.

I'm over this boring off-season, I'm ready to be optimistic about our 2015 Orioles!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the knees are extremely worrisome, but I cant help but be giddy about him running the bases today, on January 14th. He took BP, ran the bases, and said he "feels like God" after his Wedding and Honeymoon. If any one player can make me feel better about this team in 2015, its Manny Machado.

I'm over this boring off-season, I'm ready to be optimistic about our 2015 Orioles!

Why are his knees very worrisome? He had a congenital defect in both knees which has been surgically corrected. They should be no issue moving forward.

And yes, I am very excited about Manny. I expect a monster season. Great to see the video of him in the batting cage today.

He actually said, "I feel like God"? I'm one of his biggest homers, but that sounds like a very ARodish thing to say.
"I think that getting married and having that honeymoon was perfect timing for God to get me away from all this and bring me back to my senses of how life is," Machado said. "Because when I came back, I felt like, I felt like freaking God. I felt awesome, I felt great, my body was feeling great. I think that's why I'm in this position now that I could do what I've been doing because I took that little time off and kind of let my body heal completely."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-machado-on-recovery-from-knee-surgery-its-been-a-while-since-ive-felt-this-healthy-20150114-story.html

Why are his knees very worrisome? He had a congenital defect in both knees which has been surgically corrected. They should be no issue moving forward.

And yes, I am very excited about Manny. I expect a monster season. Great to see the video of him in the batting cage today.

Genetic defect or no, he has still had surgery on each knee. I'm just saying I would feel more confident in his knees if they were never operated on.

As I've stated in a few threads, I believe Manny will be a top 5 MVP candidate this year, posting an .850 OPS and playing the kind of defense to which we've become accustomed. Certainly this article only reinforces my opinion. I think he's only scratched the surface of what he can do offensively.

Genetic defect or no, he has still had surgery on each knee. I'm just saying I would feel more confident in his knees if they were never operated on.

Would you rather him still have the defect but not had surgery or had the surgery and had the defect repaired?

Because if you had just wished he had never had the defect to begin with then yea, of course.

Would you rather him still have the defect but not had surgery or had the surgery and had the defect repaired?

Because if you had just wished he had never had the defect to begin with then yea, of course.

Of course I would rather him not have had the defect to begin with, I think anyone would want that. But going back to my OP, with two knee surgeries in 2 years, I think that his knees have to be the one thing about him that I would consider "worrisome." The kid has the tools to be one of the best, and I want nothing more than for him to be the best for the Orioles.

Of course I would rather him not have had the defect to begin with, I think anyone would want that. But going back to my OP, with two knee surgeries in 2 years, I think that his knees have to be the one thing about him that I would consider "worrisome." The kid has the tools to be one of the best, and I want nothing more than for him to be the best for the Orioles.

Without some evidence that these kinds of knee issues can continue to be a problem, even after they've been fixed, I don't consider them worrisome.

StickandStones was correct to have some concerns. Many on here act like having surgery just fixes everything. Ask a doctor about surgery. They would rather push it off unless it is necessary. Surgery was the best thing for Manny, but it usually does come with some negative side effects that never go away. He will learn how to manage with legs that have had surgery, but they still will not be the same.

I have two daughters that have had surgery on their shoulders and things are never quite the same. You may say that Manny's surgery was done by the best, but one of my daughter's was performed by a surgeon who performs shoulder surgery on MLB and NFL players and other top athletes.

I am also amazed how skinny Manny's legs look for such an athlete. That alarms me, because he has had two injuries and to me it looks like his legs lack muscle compared to the rest of his body.

StickandStones was correct to have some concerns. Many on here act like having surgery just fixes everything. Ask a doctor about surgery. They would rather push it off unless it is necessary. Surgery was the best thing for Manny, but it usually does come with some negative side effects that never go away. He will learn how to manage with legs that have had surgery, but they still will not be the same.

I have two daughters that have had surgery on their shoulders and things are never quite the same. You may say that Manny's surgery was done by the best, but one of my daughter's was performed by a surgeon who performs shoulder surgery on MLB and NFL players and other top athletes.

I am also amazed how skinny Manny's legs look for such an athlete. That alarms me, because he has had two injuries and to me it looks like his legs lack muscle compared to the rest of his body.

Yeah but any Orthopedic Dr. will tell you that lean legs and flexibility is better on the knees than a weightlifters legs. I'm sure with his rehab he has strengthened and improved flexibility in all aspects with his legs.

I am most encouraged by Manny's quotes about the Oriole Way. Man, this guy is really pumped to get going and he is really indoctrinated in the current Oriole team culture.

I don't know if his comments are actually heartfelt but it's still encouraging to hear a 22-year old saying the right things.

Go Manny. Go O's!

Archived