RIP Ernie Banks

TonySoprano

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sad to hear of the passing of great HOF'er Ernie Banks. Condolences to his family and .<a href="https://twitter.com/Cubs">@Cubs</a> fans everywhere. Let's play 2 for Ernie!</p>— Jim Palmer (@Jim22Palmer) <a href="

">January 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I caddied for him on a few occasions when I was younger and a more likeable and upbeat person I have never met. A really fun guy who had about a 1000 different stories he was always wanting to tell. It's truly a shame he couldn't have made it a few more years now that the Cubs aren't far off from being in the thick of things again. Both He and Ron Santo deserved to see the Cubs win a World Series in their time.

RIP Ernie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Ernie Banks the league in happiness.. The world got a little less friendly tonight. Ernie Banks is gone.I'll miss him <a href="http://t.co/DyevWBtWqK">pic.twitter.com/DyevWBtWqK</a></p>— Roy Firestone (@RoyFirestone) <a href="

">January 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As a kid, I was a huge Oriole fan, of course. When I heard about Ernie Banks saying "Let's play two," I made the Cubs the team I rooted for in the NL. I figured that he loved the game the way a kid does. The way I did. It turned out that I went to school just outside Chicago, a short L ride from Wrigley. Spent many an afternoon there, as the train ride was only 40 cents each way and bleacher seats were a buck. I was fortunate enough to see Ernie play my freshman year, his last season. WGN's tv ads for Cubs games at the time included a replay of Ernie Banks' 500th home run. Ernie Banks was a great player and a fine man. Always had a smile on his face. He will be missed. Thanks, Ernie.

MLB lost two of the all-time good guys in Stan Musial and Ernie Banks in the span of a little over two years. But you know, if a guy lives to ages 92 and 83 respectively, and he was happy about his life, I don't feel so shocked and miserable about it. It's a good opportunity to look back and celebrate it.

MLB lost two of the all-time good guys in Stan Musial and Ernie Banks in the span of a little over two years. But you know, if a guy lives to ages 92 and 83 respectively, and he was happy about his life, I don't feel so shocked and miserable about it. It's a good opportunity to look back and celebrate it.

Banks family attorney:

"The family will be holding a press conference Sunday in downtown Chicago at noon. We are working on the funeral arrangements right now.

He did not die of natural causes. His death was not expected. I'm not at liberty to say anything else right now until the press conference."

Archived