Nice Story about Alex Rodriguez

bobmc

Schadenfreude Alert....

"The New York Yankees are looking to void milestone bonuses in Alex Rodriguez'' marketing contract and are prepared for a battle if Rodriguez files a grievance with the Major League Baseball Players Association, reports the New York Daily News.

According to the report, the Yankees view the bonuses as "worthless" because of Rodriguez' year-long suspension for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal. The Yankees also reportedly declined to meet with Rodriguez in his attempt to mend his relationship with the team."

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/01/26/new-york-yankees-alex-rodriguez-milestone-bonuses?xid=nl_siextra

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schadenfreude Alert....

"The New York Yankees are looking to void milestone bonuses in Alex Rodriguez'' marketing contract and are prepared for a battle if Rodriguez files a grievance with the Major League Baseball Players Association, reports the New York Daily News.

According to the report, the Yankees view the bonuses as "worthless" because of Rodriguez' year-long suspension for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal. The Yankees also reportedly declined to meet with Rodriguez in his attempt to mend his relationship with the team."

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/01/26/new-york-yankees-alex-rodriguez-milestone-bonuses?xid=nl_siextra

Yeah, but as Lazy DES pointed out in his thread, Rodriguez is doing his very best in rebuilding his image, with his choice to have Barry Bonds train and mentor him:

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/01/20/new-york-yankees-arod-alex-rodriguez-training-barry-bonds

That kind of stunt makes it all the more difficult for the Yankees to undermine him.

Yeah, but as Lazy DES pointed out in his thread, Rodriguez is doing his very best in rebuilding his image, with his choice to have Barry Bonds train and mentor him:

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/01/20/new-york-yankees-arod-alex-rodriguez-training-barry-bonds

That kind of stunt makes it all the more difficult for the Yankees to undermine him.

I don't see why you would think it is a stunt?

Bonds is a smart guy and certainly on a short list of the greatest players of his generation.

I think it is the exact opposite of a stunt.

I don't see why you would think it is a stunt?

Bonds is a smart guy and certainly on a short list of the greatest players of his generation.

I think it is the exact opposite of a stunt.

I was being facetious.

His choice to have Bonds "mentor" him is about the worst thing that anyone in his position could do.

To think otherwise because of Bonds' career offensive numbers is (to me) extremely naive.

I was being facetious.

His choice to have Bonds "mentor" him is about the worst thing that anyone in his position could do.

To think otherwise because of Bonds' career offensive numbers is (to me) extremely naive.

I disagree.

Arod's image is irrecoverably tarnished at this point. What he needs is the right folks to get him prepared for the 2015 season.

If he was working with someone respected like Cal or someone universally liked such as Thome, would it make a difference?

I disagree.

Arod's image is irrecoverably tarnished at this point. What he needs is the right folks to get him prepared for the 2015 season.

If he was working with someone respected like Cal or someone universally liked such as Thome, would it make a difference?

Yes. That would make a difference. Just because his image is already horrible and beyond repair doesn't make it a good idea to continue to push it even further down the toilet than it already is by reaching out and training with to someone like Barry Bonds.

You're the only person that I know of that actually thinks that Rodriguez mentoring up/buddying up with Barry Bonds is a good idea for Rodriguez.

Yes. That would make a difference. Just because his image is already horrible and beyond repair doesn't make it a good idea to continue to push it even further down the toilet than it already is by reaching out to someone like Barry Bonds.

You're the only person that I know of that actually thinks that Rodriguez mentoring up/buddying up with Barry Bonds is a good idea for Rodriguez.

Like you said his image is already beyond repair.

Bonds could prove to be a great asset in helping Arod get up to speed.

He is also probably one of the few people who can relate to what Arod has gone through in the media.

I'm not rooting for Arod to do well, I am rooting for Arod to finish out his contract.

I think this move increases his chances.

I'm not rooting for Arod to do well, I am rooting for Arod to finish out his contract.

I think this move increases his chances.

If you're rooting for Rodriguez to finish his contract with the Yankees, then I believe that associating himself with Barry Bonds right now is contradictory to that cause.

The article states that the Yankees "are trying to avoid paying Rodriguez bonuses due to his year-long suspension for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal' and that they "plan on arguing that Rodriguez signed the marketing deal under false pretenses because of his admitted use of performance-enhancing drugs.'

If anything, buddying up/mentoring up with Barry Bonds would seem to give ammunition to the Yankees' cause in paying him less, not Rodriguez's cause of collecting the maximum amount that he can.

Whatever happens happens. I just love all of the intrigue surrounding Arod. Last year was all of the overhype for DJ, but he was a good guy who played hard. This year will be different, but as a Yankee hater I like it.

I'd like to see him finish his contract also and agree with Corn that he should be sent on all the road ST games. Funny stuff. It will be interesting to see what the MLBPA does on his behalf.

Archived