HHP: A list of DD's "MiLers for MLers" trades

stef

12/11

Texas Rangers traded C Taylor Teagarden to Baltimore Orioles and Delmarva Shorebirds Traded RHP Randy Henry to Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Also included Greg Miclat.

Los Angeles Dodgers traded LHP Dana Eveland to Baltimore Orioles; Norfolk Tides Traded LF Tyler Henson to Albuquerque Isotopes and Delmarva Shorebirds Traded LHP Jarret Martin to Rancho Cucamonga Quakes.

7/12

Philadelphia Phillies traded DH Jim Thome to Baltimore Orioles for C Gabriel Lino and RHP Kyle Simon.

8/12

Cleveland Indians traded LHP J.C. Romero to Baltimore Orioles for 3B Carlos R Rojas.

11/12

Pittsburgh Pirates traded 3B Yamaico Navarro to Baltimore Orioles for RHP Jhondaniel Medina.

6/13

Seattle Mariners traded RF Eric Thames to Baltimore Orioles for 3B Ty Kelly.

7/13

Chicago Cubs traded RHP Scott Feldman and C Steve Clevenger to Baltimore Orioles for RHP Jake Arrieta and RHP Pedro Strop. (yes, this trade shouldn"t be on the list but Jake was pitching like a MiLer)

Milwaukee Brewers traded RHP Francisco Rodriguez to Baltimore Orioles for 3B Nick Delmonico.

Houston Astros traded RHP Bud Norris to Baltimore Orioles for LF L.J. Hoes and LHP Josh Hader. Edit: The Competitive Balance pick (37th overall) that the Os gave up should also be included. Houston selected Derek Fisher.

8/13

Baltimore Orioles traded LF Xavier Avery to Seattle Mariners for LF Michael Morse.

11/13

San Diego Padres traded RHP Brad Brach to Baltimore Orioles for RHP Devin Jones.

4/14

Cleveland Indians traded RHP Preston Guilmet to Baltimore Orioles for 2B Torsten Boss.

7/14

Boston Red Sox traded LHP Andrew Miller to Baltimore Orioles for LHP Eduardo Rodriguez.

8/14

Chicago White Sox traded LF Alejandro De Aza to Baltimore Orioles for RHP Mark Blackmar and RHP Miguel Chalas.

Boston Red Sox traded 3B Kelly Johnson and 3B Michael Almanzar to Baltimore Orioles for Jemile Weeks and 2B Ivan De Jesus.

1/15

Travis Snider from the Pirates for minor league left-handers Stephen Tarpley and Steven Brault.

7/15

Gerrardo Parra from the Brewers for RHP Zach Davies

2/4/16

San Diego Padres traded RHP Odrisamer Despaigne to Baltimore Orioles for RHP Jean Cosme.

7/31/16

Seattle Mariners traded LHP Wade Miley to Baltimore Orioles for LHP Ariel Miranda.

8/1/16

Tampa Bay Rays traded Steve Pearce to Baltimore Orioles for C Jonah Heim.

8/31/16

Pittsburgh Pirates traded LHP Kyle Lobstein to Baltimore Orioles for LHP Zach Phillips. Ashur Tolliver DFA to make room for Lobstein. Lobstein then DFA to make room for waiver claim Drew Stubbs. Lobstein cleared and remained with Os for 2016 but is now a free agent. Tolliver was claimed by the Angels.

Arizona Diamondbacks traded OF Michael Bourn to Baltimore Orioles for minor league OF Jason Heinrich.

2/19/17
The Orioles acquired LHer Vidal Nuño from the Dodgers for RH pitcher Ryan Moseley

7/28/17
Starting pitcher Jeremy Hellickson was acquired from the Phillies for AA-Bowie pitcher Garrett Cleavinger, Hyun-Soo Kim, and an International signing bonus slot or slots.

7/31/17
Orioles trade short-season Single-A Aberdeen pitcher Tobias Myers to the Rays for shortstop Tim Beckham, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a lot of quantity, but not much quality, that has left our organization. The two players who might make an impact (EdRod and Hader) both brought something useful in return. (Tarpley is too far away for me to conclude he might make an impact.)

Good job. To this point, nothing hurts. The potential hurts look to be Eduardo Rodriguez, Josh Hader, and Tarpley.

Thanks. Agreed, Hader (and EdRod) could have a significant ML career--better than Norris's.

It certainly indicates that you need to give quality to get quality. With the exception of Miller and Norris, most of these trades have not had a much of an effect (positive or negative) on the Os at the ML level.

Perhaps the best of the rest was Brach for Jones--as Jones has struggled at AA and Brach was pretty good. I'm sure the Os expected more out KRod.

Looks like we gave up a bunch of guys that have ceilings of just being relievers or bench players. With the way that DD operates those type of players are expendable because he is able to bring in so many of them anyway. Of course this means I side with the reports that Ed Rod and Hader will end up in the pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Steve, I was first.:)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/02/trader-dan.html

More importantly, I've received quite a few "thank you" messages for this thread. So, let me say "you're welcome" to all. I put it together to help assuage my concerns about the loss of certain MiLers.

In the Melewski article, DD makes a good point that, with the addition of the second wild card team, the cost of ML talent at the trading deadline has gone up.

More importantly, I've received quite a few "thank you" messages for this thread. So, let me say "you're welcome" to all. I put it together to help assuage my concerns about the loss of certain MiLers.

In the Melewski article, DD makes a good point that, with the addition of the second wild card team, the cost of ML talent at the trading deadline has gone up.

And Thank You again. I am sure Steve does too.

Melewski definitely "borrowed" from you, but the quotes from Duquette provide a nice window into his thinking. On the EdRod for Miller trade:

"We didn't want to do that, but it was required to acquire that pitcher," Duquette said. "And Andrew Miller helped the Orioles get to the playoffs. I could argue he was the difference in the first playoff series with the Tigers. What if he was on the other side of the field in the Detroit dugout? What if we didn't have him to get key outs in that series?

"There is a case of yes, we gave up a really good prospect, but it was required for us to take a shot at the pennant. At that point of the season, I think you have to roll the dice and see if you can help your team advance."

Duquette addressed the risk teams take in trading prospects, like the risk that a player dealt away will turn into an All-Star caliber player or better down the road.

"That is always the risk that you take," he said. "But again, if you are going to try for a pennant you have to do what you have to do. You have to take the shot.

"You have to swallow hard to trade young prospects. But if you are in a pennant race, it is incumbent on the team to make those trades to keep that going during the season."

the quotes from Duquette provide a nice window into his thinking. On the EdRod for Miller trade:

Yes, indeed.

If Miller went to the Tigers instead, it would have been really tough for the Os to advance. Boston played that trade very well.

Archived