Buck: "Gausman will not be optioned if..."

wildcard

Every once in a while I see a post where someone believes the Gausman may be optioned because the O's have 6 starters. Well I believe Buck answered that question. Its not going to happen. Buck was on 105.7 The Fan and made the following comment:

"We?re not going to use Gausman having options against him. If he?s one of our best 12 pitchers, he?s going north.?

I think most of us can agree that Gausman is one of the O's best 12 pitchers. Thanks Buck for clearing that up.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/orioles-hot-stove-show-buck-showalter-matt-wieters/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every once in a while I see a post where someone believes the Gausman may be optioned because the O's have 6 starters. Will I believe Buck answered that question. Its not going to happen. Buck was on 105.7 The Fan and made the following comment:

I think most of us can agree that Gausman is one of the O's best 12 pitchers. Thanks Buck for clearing that up.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/orioles-hot-stove-show-buck-showalter-matt-wieters/

I believe he is one of our 12 best pitchers.

I think there's a good chance that Gausman will be one of our 2-3 best starting pitchers in 2015. He still has less than one full year of service time (he has 164 days), so there isn't any service time reason to play games with him to try to delay eligibility for free agency, and you'd have to keep him in the minors too long to try to avoid him becoming a Super Two after the 2016 season. So, I think it is extremely likely that Gausman is on the roster all year if he's healthy, unless he has a really terrible spring, which I doubt.

There's going to be a roster crunch going into Opening Day. With 6 starters, two rule V guys, 7 relievers without options, and no need for a 5th starter until game 8, I'm looking forward to how this plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Gausman will slot #5

Tillman

Chen

Jimenez

Norris

Gausman

He may well be left in limbo through the first turn through. Service time and innings would be saved. No matter what Buck says on the radio.

Tillman

Chen

Jimenez

Norris

Gausman

He may well be left in limbo through the first turn through. Service time and innings would be saved. No matter what Buck says on the radio.

And Gonzo? Start one of our best pitchers in the pen?

Tillman

Chen

Jimenez

Norris

Gausman

Why would they need to save service time? Didn't they get the extra year and three years of arbitration last year?

If everyone is healthy out of ST I think we see a trade for Norris or Gonzalez. A part of me wishes that the Chen for Kendrick trade went down. Regardless, I see Gausman in the rotation. Though I thought I remembered Buck saying something about an innings limit for Gausman in that interview and that could have him start the year in the bullpen.

Archived