All the moves count, no matter when they were made

wildcard

Its been a pretty quiet off season, but let's count all the moves that have been made to effect 2015.

Here are twelve (12)

1) August 30, 2014: Alejandro De Aza Traded by the Chicago White Sox to the Baltimore Orioles for Mark Blackmar (minors) and Miguel Chalas (minors).

Well, not technically the off season but the O's added a left fielder they only had for one month of the regular season. Now they have him all season. That's a plus.

2) October 9 2014: JJ Hardy signed a 3 year, $40M extension.

This is the biggest move made since the end of the regular season. HUGE.

3) November 20, 2014: Alex Hassan Selected off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles from the Oakland Athletics.

Hassan has a high OBP in the minors and is righthanded. He may be useful with two corner lefthanded outfielders on the team.

4) November 22, 2014: Rey Navarro signed a major league contract.

With Jonathan Schoop being one of the worst hitters in baseball, Rey was acquired in case there is not enough improvement.

5) December 11, 2014: Jason Garcia and Logan Verrett acquired in the Rule 5 draft.

Any time a guy that throws 100mph is acquired its noteable. And that's what they say Jason Garcia can do. He has a chance to make the O's pen.

6) December 19, 2014: Wesley Wright Signed as a Free Agent

Buck wanted a left handed reliever that can get out lefties and righties. Wesley, you are up.

7) December 19 2014: Scott Coolbaugh signed as hitting coach.

Many fans have not been happy with the O's hitting approach. Not enough emphasis on OBP. Will that change? It might. We know it wasn't going to change with Jim Presley.

8) January 9, 2015: Delmon Young re-signed to help at DH.

Delmon fills a void and is reported to have an expanded role in 2015.

9) January 27, 2015: Travis Snider Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates to the Baltimore Orioles for Stephen Tarpley (minors) and player to be named.

10) Plus 6 months of Matt Wieters instead of one month.

11) Plus 6 months of Manny Machado instead of 3 months.

12) Plus 6 months of Chris Davis instead on 5 months.

The last three are health related but that will make a difference between 2014 and 2015.

Some how the off season looks busier now.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The De Aza and Hardy moves are largely discounted nationally because they occurred before the end of last season, but they were both important.

As far as the injuries go, I think we're putting too much emphasis on it. Somebody is going to get hurt. It's a question of who and for how long. Davis hurt the team more by hitting poorly than missing a month.

The De Aza and Hardy moves are largely discounted nationally because they occurred before the end of last season, but they were both important.

As far as the injuries go, I think we're putting too much emphasis on it. Somebody is going to get hurt. It's a question of who and for how long. Davis hurt the team more by hitting poorly than missing a month.

Fully agreed. I have seen "but full seasons of Machado, Wieters and Davis" as arguments to bolster our expectations for the season, as if their health over 6 months were a given. Hopefully they are, but if they, or Hardy, Britton, Jones, Pearce or the like go down, it's going to be a serious problem. The O's have an extra starter, but not a lot of depth or options at those other key positions.

Fully agreed. I have seen "but full seasons of Machado, Wieters and Davis" as arguments to bolster our expectations for the season, as if their health over 6 months were a given. Hopefully they are, but if they, or Hardy, Britton, Jones, Pearce or the like go down, it's going to be a serious problem. The O's have an extra starter, but not a lot of depth or options at those other key positions.

Personally, I expect Walker, Alvarez, Navarro and Arencibia to start the season in the minors and be available for call up when ever they are needed.

I have said this several times, but I like to compare our team to the one that won the ALDS and see how much improvement we have made:

C: Hundley/Joseph to Wieters (Assuming he's good to go)

1B: Pearce to Davis

2B and SS stays the same

3B: Flaherty to Machado

LF and RF remain the same

RF: Markakis to some rotation of Snider, Pearce, Lough

DH: Cruz to Young, Pearce

SP: Basically the same

BP: Losing Miller and adding Wright

Downgrades at DH and BP, while upgrades at 3B and maybe C.

Definitely stronger bench

Its been a pretty quiet off season, but let's count all the moves that have been made to effect 2015.

Here are twelve (12)

1) August 30, 2014: Alejandro De Aza Traded by the Chicago White Sox to the Baltimore Orioles for Mark Blackmar (minors) and Miguel Chalas (minors).

Well, not technically the off season but the O's added a left fielder they only had for one month of the regular season. Now they have him all season. That's a plus.

3) November 20, 2014: Alex Hassan Selected off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles from the Oakland Athletics.

Hassan has a high OBP in the minors and is righthanded. He may be useful with two corner lefthanded outfielders on the team.

4) November 22, 2014: Rey Navarro sign major league contract.

With Jonathan Schoop being one of the worst hitter in baseball, Rey was acquired in case there is not enough improvement.

5) December 11, 2014: Jason Garcia and Logan Verrett acquire in the Rule 5 draft.

Any time a guy that throws 100mph is acquired its noteable. And that's what they say Jason Garcia can do. He has a chance to make the O's pen.

Buck wanted a left handed reliever that can get out lefties and righties. Wesley, you are up.

7) December 19 2014: Scott Coolbaugh signed a hitting coach.

Many fans have not been happy with the O's hitting approach. Not enough emphasis on OBP. Will that change? It might. We know it wasn't going to change with Jim Presley.

9) January 27, 2015: Travis Snider Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates to the Baltimore Orioles for Stephen Tarpley (minors) and player to be named.

The last three are health related but that will make a difference between 2014 and 2015.

How do you know that Wieter, Machado, and Davis will last 6 months?

Here are twelve (12)

4) November 22, 2014: Rey Navarro sign major league contract.

With Jonathan Schoop being one of the worst hitter in baseball, Rey was acquired in case there is not enough improvement.

5) December 11, 2014: Jason Garcia and Logan Verrett acquire in the Rule 5 draft.

7) December 19 2014: Scott Coolbaugh signed a hitting coach.

This officially takes the cake for sun shiniest post I've ever read. I'm all for avoiding hand-wringing solely because there hasn't been much noteworthy action, but do you realize how long this list would be for most teams if you went down to the same level of transactions across the league? Even going that deep you came up with 8 actual off-season moves, listed a trade from last year, and listed players on the roster that will once again be on the roster. God love you; I can't imagine a world where you are displeased or even marginally miffed at the Orioles or anything the org does. And that's said with love and sincerity -- I envy your ability to have a level of optimism and support that allows basically any set of facts to come together positively.

This officially takes the cake for sun shiniest post I've ever read. I'm all for avoiding hand-wringing solely because there hasn't been much noteworthy action, but do you realize how long this list would be for most teams if you went down to the same level of transactions across the league? Even going that deep you came up with 8 actual off-season moves, listed a trade from last year, and listed players on the roster that will once again be on the roster. God love you; I can't imagine a world where you are displeased or even marginally miffed at the Orioles or anything the org does. And that's said with love and sincerity -- I envy your ability to have a level of optimism and support that allows basically any set of facts to come together positively.

I can top that.

I think the O's will lead the AL in homers and slugging pct. They will be near the top of the league in ERA and defense. Only problem is OBP where they will be middle of the pack. So with that kind of outlook, why shouldn't everything be sunny?

Two more comments:

Thus the thread title "All the moves count, no matter when they were made."

Many other teams didn't win 96 regular season games so they probably needed to make more moves.

Archived