Orioles trade Michael Ohlman to Cardinals

Can_of_corn

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles have traded CA Michael Ohlman to the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for cash considerations.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles have traded CA Michael Ohlman to the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for cash considerations.</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">February 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does this indicate that a trade is coming? Room on the 40 man.

Does this indicate that a trade is coming? Room on the 40 man.

I doubt it. The Orioles DFA'd Ohlman to make room on the 40-man for Snider. I'm guessing that they figured he wouldn't make it through waivers, so they traded him for the best offer they could get.

I guess the O's think he's too old to have a down year? Just turned 24. But aside from his 2014 poor year, his previous 2 seasons were superb:

2012: 300/400/460 - 860 OPS in 240 PA with 24 XBH (only 3 dingers)

2013: 313/410/524 - 934 OPS in 424 PA with 46 XBH with 13 dingers

I really don't like them giving him up so soon and also giving him away for nothing. Surely there are some other(s) that could have been nixed from the 40 man?

It was evident to me from the way he was being handled that the Orioles really soured on him. He had a down year at the plate but it was my understanding that his defense was poor, and evidently, not fixable from their perspective. I can't tell if this says more about Ohlman or about how the O's feel about their catching situation for the foreseeable future.

Wow- why? A puzzler.

I posted this in the other Ohlman thread: The Orioles DFA'd Ohlman to make room on the 40-man for Snider. I'm guessing that they figured he wouldn't make it through waivers, so they traded him for the best offer they could get.

Archived