Victor Martinez, 36 - 4 yrs/$68M - Torn Medial Meniscus

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He needs to stop working out in the offseason.
The menisci are nourished by small blood vessels but have a large area in the center with no direct blood supply (avascular). This presents a problem when there is an injury to the meniscus, as the avascular areas tend not to heal. Without the essential nutrients supplied by blood vessels, healing cannot take place
Wikipedia

Yet another example of how incredibly risky (for a team with a budget) it is to sign guys on or near the downslope of their careers to pricy FA contracts.

It blows my mind when I hear folks beating the war drums to sign guys like Vmart, Josh Hamilton, Pujols, or even Nelson Cruz. It's not about being cheap--it's just bad business.

Depending on the size of the tear and where it is located it's not a huge deal. The one problem that a medial meniscus has is that part of the hamstring attaches to it. Prevents from working out the hamstring as hard as possible for a couple weeks after surgery. If it's in that part of the knee that has a blood supply the time to return the play will actually be longer because it can actually be repaired instead of just removed. If it is the non-vascularized part of the knee he can have surgery and not miss any significant part of spring training at this point in time.

Depending on the size of the tear and where it is located it's not a huge deal. The one problem that a medial meniscus has is that part of the hamstring attaches to it. Prevents from working out the hamstring as hard as possible for a couple weeks after surgery. If it's in that part of the knee that has a blood supply the time to return the play will actually be longer because it can actually be repaired instead of just removed. If it is the non-vascularized part of the knee he can have surgery and not miss any significant part of spring training at this point in time.

Will it affect his ability to drive the ball, like Cabrera's ankle did for him?

He had such a nice last year. Second in MVP. Even better than Cruz.

Wow... 2nd in MVP. I forgot/didn't realize he was that high. I don't know that I agree with him being that high.

I honestly would have put Cano, Donaldson, Cruz, Jones and Brantley over him (admittedly some of that is orange shades-driven).

Archived