2016 San Diego Padres

OFFNY

o

4 years, approximately $75 Million.

Club option for a potential 5th season.

The largest contract ever in Padres history (Jake Peavy's 3-year, $52 Million contract signed in between the 2007 and 2008 seasons was the previous high.)

Source: James Shields to Padres

(ESPN.com News Services)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12299791/james-shields-reaches-deal-san-diego-padres

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be the best value of the high priced FA class. His peripherals aren't great but he could be helped by pitching at PETCO. Then again, that could be offset by the less than stellar defense he'll have playing behind him.

You aren't in Kansas City anymore.

The Value of Relevance

The Padres have put themselves in a position to potentially be the 2014 Royals or 2013 Pirates. They?ll need some things to break their way, but if a few things click, they could be playing meaningful baseball in September and maybe even October. That matters, especially to an organization that just gave their fans an offense that averaged 3.3 runs per game. The Padres don?t have to win the World Series for these moves to justify the long-term cost; they mostly just have to win their fans back.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/james-shields-and-the-value-of-relevance/

The Value of Relevance

The Padres have put themselves in a position to potentially be the 2014 Royals or 2013 Pirates. They?ll need some things to break their way, but if a few things click, they could be playing meaningful baseball in September and maybe even October. That matters, especially to an organization that just gave their fans an offense that averaged 3.3 runs per game. The Padres don?t have to win the World Series for these moves to justify the long-term cost; they mostly just have to win their fans back.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/james-shields-and-the-value-of-relevance/

And get a TV deal that puts them on the air.

Might be the best value of the high priced FA class. His peripherals aren't great but he could be helped by pitching at PETCO. Then again, that could be offset by the less than stellar defense he'll have playing behind him.

You aren't in Kansas City anymore.

SO CAL, you gave me the Bird.

You obscene bastard !!!

• 1 month later...

In light of all of the discussion surrounding Davis's comments earlier this week, I got to thinking about whether the O's would deal him, since it looks like he won't resign here anyway. The Padres expressed interest in him during the off season. They currently have Yonder Alonso playing first base, which looks kind of odd given all of the talent they have at other positions. Do you think there's a match? Is it possible that we could trade Davis by the deadline?

In light of all of the discussion surrounding Davis's comments earlier this week, I got to thinking about whether the O's would deal him, since it looks like he won't resign here anyway. The Padres expressed interest in him during the off season. They currently have Yonder Alonso playing first base, which looks kind of odd given all of the talent they have at other positions. Do you think there's a match? Is it possible that we could trade Davis by the deadline?

I think you missed what the O's are doing. They are going for it. All the way to the World Series. That means keeping their stars. Davis is not going anywhere this season unless the O's are going with him.

That is my 2 cents.

I think you missed what the O's are doing. They are going for it. All the way to the World Series. That means keeping their stars. Davis is not going anywhere this season unless the O's are going with him.

That is my 2 cents.

Yep, I missed it.

Does SD have the payroll space to take on Davis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only way they trade him is if the O's are out of contention at the trade deadline. If O's are still in contention they will play out the season with him and let him walk and take the compensation draft pick for him. Just my opinion...

I agree this is the likeliest scenario. The compensation pick is always available to them. WC was right, they're going for it.

Archived