MLB Committee To Examine Strike Zone

Can_of_corn

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--mlb-could-alter-strike-zone-as-response-to-declining-offense-232940947.html

Concern around baseball about the strike zone filtered down to the MLB?s Playing Rules Committee, which must formally adopt a rules change before it?s implemented. The committee will pay close attention to the size of the strike zone in 2015 with an eye on change as early as 2016 after studies showed it has expanded significantly since 2009, coinciding with a precipitous dip in run scoring. Of particular concern, sources said, is the low strike, a scourge not only because it has stretched beyond the zone?s boundaries but is considered a significantly more difficult pitch to hit.
Since 2009, the average size of the called strike zone has jumped from 435 square inches to 475 square inches, according to Roegele?s research. The results: Pitchers are throwing more in the lower part of the zone, and hitters are swinging at an increased rate, knowing the tough-to-drive pitches will be called strikes.

Roegele?s study estimated 31 percent of the offensive drought could be attributed to the strike zone while Mills? estimated it?s between 24 percent and 41 percent.

Finally some common sense.

As I have been saying, if you think the low scoring environment is a problem the strike zone is the first place to look

MLB thrashing around again, when the answer is obvious. Get a the clubs to agree to a predetermined strike zone from the shoulders to the knees +/-. Then take some of the human error, bias, etc. out of the game by calling balls and strikes by existing technology. Not a 100% perfect system either, but a giant leap from where they are now. But then we are talking about MLB here.

MLB thrashing around again, when the answer is obvious. Get a the clubs to agree to a predetermined strike zone from the shoulders to the knees +/-. Then take some of the human error, bias, etc. out of the game by calling balls and strikes by existing technology. Not a 100% perfect system either, but a giant leap from where they are now. But then we are talking about MLB here.

I am all in favor of an electronic strike zone but it will need to give immediate feedback to the ump. Even a short delay would be extremely distracting.

I am all in favor of an electronic strike zone but it will need to give immediate feedback to the ump. Even a short delay would be extremely distracting.

Tennis' Hawk-Eye system is near instantaneous. Players can wear an electrode on their jerseys or something to indicate the top and bottom of their own strike zone. According to wikipedia it's accurate to within 5 mm.

Maybe I just don't understand. How is changing the strike zone going to fix anything? The problem is umpires calling their own strike zone. MLB tweaking the rule book isn't going to change that. And we know there certainly won't be any accountability for the umpires when they do call strikes 6 inches out of the zone on a regular basis.

Maybe I just don't understand. How is changing the strike zone going to fix anything? The problem is umpires calling their own strike zone. MLB tweaking the rule book isn't going to change that. And we know there certainly won't be any accountability for the umpires when they do call strikes 6 inches out of the zone on a regular basis.

Don't take this as me being rude, but did you read the article?

The theory is that the expanded strike zone is a result of Umps being more accurate due to Questec and PITCH/fx.

It's being discussed in the MLB section.

Anyway, it's ridiculous. We're, like, three weeks into Manfred's tenure and I already can't stand him. IMO, the strike zone is too damn small. Belt high strikes rarely get called. I think letter high strikes (like they say in the rule book) would be a bit much, but it would speed up the game while crippling offense.

As I said in the other thread, they had plenty of offense about 15 years ago.

Archived