Yankees retiring the numbers of Posada, Pettitte and B. Williams

Frobby

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only true legends should have their number retired. Cal Ripken, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Earl Weaver. All deserving of having their numbers retired. The Yankees seem like they're just going to retire anyone's number until they have to move on to 3 digit numbers. Watch them retire Teixeira when he retires LOL.

And they are retiring the number of PED user Pettitte while simultaneously trying to get out of paying HR milestone bonuses in A-Rod's contract because he was a PED user????

F---ing hypocrites,

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Maybe they misremembered about Pettitte.

I like what the Orioles do. Retire the numbers of Hall of Famers and make a special exception not to reissue the number of a lifer like Elrod Hendricks. Frankly, I'm not sure that Cal Ripken, Sr. should be in the same boat as Elrod. He only wore the number for 16 years (not counting his week managing the team in '88), Belanger wore #7 for the same length of time. If his name wasn't Cal Ripken, Sr. would he have that honor? Elrod wore #44 his last 2 years playing and for his 28 years as a coach.

I'm not quite sure what Knoblauch's comment even means, and even if I agreed with his point, I don't really like to see a guy calling out his teammate.

I assumed it to mean they would not just retire his jersey and forget about him. like they forgot about his HGH testimony. Biting sarcasm. Some guys, who chose not to cheat, are touchy about the subject I guess. I don't have an issue with him speaking out. Not like Pettite is one of the unjustly accused without any evidence. Plus it's the Yankees.

I think it is pretty funny how some fanbases choose to ignore the PED history of their fan favorites while being indignant about the abuses of other players.

Very hypocritical of those fanbases.

Yep. Fanbase and individual players, like our own cute little Rugrat for example.

Yep. Fanbase and individual players, like our own cute little Rugrat for example.

Look at the recently retired Jason Giambi too. Most of it comes down to how the players handled the situation. The ones that vehemently denied everything and wagged their finger pointing blame at others... those are the ones we remember. And while I don't buy the "I just took it once" excuse, those that admitted it as soon as they were caught look better.

It's tragic (in the literary sense) when you think about it. Those that were most fearful of protecting their image fell hardest.

Look at the recently retired Jason Giambi too. Most of it comes down to how the players handled the situation. The ones that vehemently denied everything and wagged their finger pointing blame at others... those are the ones we remember. And while I don't buy the "I just took it once" excuse, those that admitted it as soon as they were caught look better.

It's tragic (in the literary sense) when you think about it. Those that were most fearful of protecting their image fell hardest.

You could also look at it and say that those that were "beloved" got off clean and those that were "respected" didn't. Folks like Bonds, Arod and Clemens had checkered histories with the fans before the PED issue.

Retired Yankee numbers (as of today):

1 Billy Martin

3 Babe Ruth

4 Lou Gehrig

5 Joe DiMaggio

7 Mickey Mantle

8 Yogi Berra, Bill Dickey

9 Roger Maris

10 Phil Rizzuto

15 Thurman Munson

16 Whitey Ford

23 Don Mattingly

32 Elston Howard

37 Casey Stengel

42 Jackie Robinson (Rivera?)

44 Reggie Jackson

47 Ron Guidry

- Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra/Dickey, Rizzuto, Ford and Stengel are automatic.

- Robinson is every team, so out of the Yankees' hands, but Rivera would be worthy anyway.

- I can understand Munson since he died early and was the heart and soul of the Bronx Zoo.

- Howard is an interesting one since he was one of the trailblazers that broke the color barrier

That's 12 names I have no qualms about.

- Jackson should have his number retired by the Athletics only.

- Maris did have back-to-back MVPs with the Yankees but he's iffy.

- I don't see how Billy Martin has his number retired while Joe McCarthy and Miller Huggins don't.

- Ron Guidry and Don Mattingly are where you're really pushing it.

The bottom line is, the Yankees have 27 world series titles and the next closest team has 11. They've got 40 pennants and the next closest team has 23. They should have the most numbers retired of any team. And finding new numbers for players is their cross to bear.

Archived