C.C. Hits the Scales at 305.

Can_of_corn

He says its intentional.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/82386/sabathia-weighs-in-at-305-lbs-on-purpose

Seems like questionable judgement considering the degenerative condition of his knees.

"I think I was just trying to find a good weight to play at," Sabathia said after throwing 25 pitches in his first outdoor bullpen session since the injury.

"I think last year I came in a little too light. By the end of the year last year, I felt good in where I was at.

Sounds like some of the interviews that I would watch from some of the heavyweight boxers that I used to watch a long time ago:

I felt weak at the lighter weight ......

There was no snap on my punches when I was lighter .......

This is my natural weight .........

I'm comfortable at this weight ......

In other words, he's fat and out of shape, and he's giving you all of the excuses of why he didn't/won't train diligently.

When (if?) he pitches to Sandoval, I wonder if will be the heaviest pitcher-batter combo in MLB history?

I'd be very surprised if David Ortiz isn't heavier than Sandoval.

Sabathia is a naturally huge human being. Him being 305 doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

Sabathia is a naturally huge human being. Him being 305 doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

A friend I know saw him at Disney when he played for the Indians. He thought he was a football player.

The weight wouldn't bother me much if it wasn't for the condition of his knees.

When (if?) he pitches to Sandoval, I wonder if will be the heaviest pitcher-batter combo in MLB history?

Did Wilbur Wood ever face Smoky Burgess? Wood was a knuckleball pitcher back before most baseball players even thought being athletic and in shape was a good idea. And Bill James once offered up this quote from something called The Great American Baseball Card Flipping Trading and Bubble Gum Book about Smoky Burgess: "Smoky Burgess was fat. Not baseball fat like Mickey Lolich or Early Wynn. But FAT fat. Like the mailman, or your Uncle Dwight. Putsy fat. Sloppy fat. Just plain fat. In fact Burgess may have been the fattest man to ever play Major League Baseball."

He finished last season weighing 295 so putting on 10 pounds isn't a big deal. Besides, he said he likes to be heavier and as you have stated, he's a big guy to begin with.

Archived