Ramon Martinez - Older Brother of Pedro

weams

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/02/everth-cabrera-the-40-man-roster-and-ramon-martinez.html

Former Dodgers right-hander Ramon Martinez is expected to visit camp again this week. He's close with pitching coach Dave Wallace.

There may be more going on here than two friends catching up.

The Orioles would like to hire Martinez, creating a role for him that takes advantage of his pitching knowledge and contacts in the Dominican Republic. One official said it was "under consideration."

Martinez.jpg

I seem to remember reading an article around the time the Orioles signed Jimenez comparing his mechanics to Pedro Martinez. I think the point of the article was that Dave Wallace had previously worked with Pedro and they thought that put him in a better position to help Ubaldo be more effective and consistent. With 38 million still committed, my assumption is that they are bringing Ramon in to work with Ubaldo or at least to get a second opinion/extra eye on his mechanics.

Question, out of curiosity: I know that Ubaldo is from the Dominican Republic. Are there any other Dominican players on the Os 40 man roster. Where is Evarth Cabrera from?

Cabrera is from Nicaragua, I believe.

Paredes is, off the top of my head.

De Aza too, but I think it's just those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roch Kubatko

The Orioles announced yesterday that they hired Ramon Martinez as special assignment pitching instructor. Martinez will concentrate on developing Latin American pitchers throughout the organization.

Executive vice president Dan Duquette said the Orioles had been trying to hire Martinez since late December after learning that he would be available. Martinez had been working for the Dodgers.

The wheels may have been in motion a little earlier when Martinez and Orioles manager Buck Showalter were inducted into the Florida State League Hall of Fame.

"We were able to connect with him over there," Duquette said.

"He's a former 20-game winner and he'll be an excellent role mode and resource for our young pitchers throughout the organization. He's bilingual and he has experience as a pitching coach."

Martinez also is a protege of Orioles pitching coach Dave Wallace from their days together in Los Angeles, "so he's got a real good fundamental background as a pitcher," Duquette said.

"He's got good work habits and he comes from a terrific family. He'll be a real asset helping our pitchers.

"Ramon was a real positive stabilizing influence on his brother. Pedro looked up to Ramon and he was able to improve. And if our pitchers follow Ramon's leadership, they will improve, too.

"He's a good hire. He's a good person and a good coach."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/03/orioles-preparing-for-two-games-today-in-latest-scheduling-challenge.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Eric Stephen

Martinez reunites with Orioles pitching coach Dave Wallace, longtime Dodgers coach who helped develop Martinez with the Dodgers as minor league pitching coordinator. Wallace was also pitching coach of a staff headed by Martinez with the Dodgers from 1995-1997.

"Dave (Wallace) was instrumental in getting Ramon here. He thinks the world of him. Class act and also one of the most respected guys in the Dominican Republic. He can help us in countless ways over there with just the respect people have for him in the Dominican and him wearing our uniform and the knowledge he has and the contacts he has in the Dominican and the respect. He walks through the clubhouse and I've had three or four people ask me already, 'How did you guys get him?' When I left to come off the field, he was still down there. He's got a great way about him. A good presentation to players. A lot of people forget, his brother (Pedro) was pretty good. I got it. But he was, too."

Roch wrote this Today from Buck.

This seems like a really good move. Not sure why Ramon was available, but anything to help a low $ international spender improve our stature/recognition and perhaps open new pathways to prospects is a plus. Not sure the cost of adding Ramon, but would like to see a couple more signings of this nature internationally.

Archived