Toronto loses Michael Saunders until ASG

Enjoy Terror

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/26/blue-jays-outfielder-michael-saunders-tore-a-meniscus-in-his-knee-is-out-until-the-all-star-break/

Freak injury stepping on a sprinkler head in the outfield. Obviously, you don't like to see stuff like that happen but what a break for the O's.

Michael Saunders isn't exactly a big deal. Yes, I am sorry for him, but I'd hardly say this fundamentally changes the Blue Jays' pennant chances.

Michael Saunders isn't exactly a big deal. Yes, I am sorry for him, but I'd hardly say this fundamentally changes the Blue Jays' pennant chances.

It does thin their outfield as they only have Batista, Pompey, and Pillar on their 40 man. They'll have to convert some IFers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or claim Hassan.

Yes, that would kind of stink.

I think the loss of Saunders is big. Bautista is already injury prone and if he goes down for a significant period, their outfield looks terrible. I understand Pompey is a good prospect but it's a gamble whether he produces in his rookie year or not. The Jays have basically lost Melky Cabrera's spot in the lineup with no replacement.

1) SS Reyes (B)

2) 3B Donaldson

3) RF Bautista

4) 1B Encarnacion

5) C Martin

6) DH Navarro (B)

7) LF Pillar

8) CF Pompey (B)

9) 2B Izturis (B)

Four switch hitters yes... but where is the lefty in the lineup? Other than Saunders, it's Josh Thole or Ryan Goins (yuck).

His 128 OPS+ last year was a big deal.

I suppose. Even with that season (in which he played only 78 games due to injuries), his career OPS+ is only 94. I'm not saying he isn't a solid player, just that losing him for half a season isn't like losing Bautista and Encarnacion for large chunks of time.

I suppose. Even with that season (in which he played only 78 games due to injuries), his career OPS+ is only 94. I'm not saying he isn't a solid player, just that losing him for half a season isn't like losing Bautista and Encarnacion for large chunks of time.

3 straight seasons of at least 106 OPS+ and an rWAR in that period of 5.6. He was lousy his first three big league seasons but he came up pretty young. Only 28 this year. Definitely not on the level of Bautista or Encarnacion, but it is rough to lose a regular contributor. Can't say I would easily brush it off if the same thing happened to De Aza or Snyder.

3 straight seasons of at least 106 OPS+ and an rWAR in that period of 5.6. He was lousy his first three big league seasons but he came up pretty young. Only 28 this year. Definitely not on the level of Bautista or Encarnacion, but it is rough to lose a regular contributor. Can't say I would easily brush it off if the same thing happened to De Aza or Snyder.

Yes, and the difference is, the Orioles have the depth in the organization to replace them. The Blue Jays do not. Their 4th OF role is a complete vacancy at the moment.

Yes, and the difference is, the Orioles have the depth in the organization to replace them. The Blue Jays do not. Their 4th OF role is a complete vacancy at the moment.

I was thinking about this earlier. Toronto kept their stud outfielder and lost two others. Same with Baltimore. Toronto traded for Saunders. The Orioles traded for snider. Although we kind of lucked into Pearce, we were proactive to trade for Lough and De Aza last year. We also stocked the minors with Hassan (who may end up losing), Reimold, and Parmalee. This is a strong example of how DD has created depth in the org to put us in a better position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived