MLBTradeRumors does the Orioles Offseason in Review

AlbionHero

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/offseason-in-review-baltimore-orioles-6.html

This is one part I agree with:

In my opinion, this is where you can second-guess Baltimore?s decision to deal Eduardo Rodriguez for Miller at the trade deadline. While Miller undoubtedly helped the O?s win the East, a top-60 prospect was a stiff price to pay for two-plus months of a relief pitcher, and Rodriguez could?ve perhaps been better served as trade bait for a bigger roster piece this offseason.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mods, I apologize for the large chunk of text, but these points were ones I was making all offseason and was told that I was wrong, etc.

The general feeling going into the offseason was that of the Orioles’ three biggest free agents, Miller was sure to leave, Cruz was 50-50 and Markakis was leaning towards re-signing. As it turned out, all three players departed, leaving the O’s with a particular need for lineup reinforcements.

As ESPN’s Jayson Stark recently pointed out, those reinforcements could already be on the roster if Wieters, Manny Machado and Chris Davis are all healthy and productive. Relying on those three, however, is no sure thing. Wieters was already in need of a rebound after a sub-par 2013 season, Machado has now undergone two knee surgeries in as many years and it’s hard to know what to expect from Davis, who went from a 53-homer year in 2013 to being barely above replacement level (0.5 fWAR) in a 2014 season plagued by injuries and a suspension for using Adderall.

It remains to be seen if the platooning rotation at LF/RF/DH can work, as a lot rides on whether Pearce, Young and Snider can continue to hit as well as they did in 2014 rather than struggle as they have in previous seasons. An everyday option like Upton or Byrd would’ve provided more stability, though the Orioles were leery of parting with any significant minor leaguers. In my opinion, this is where you can second-guess Baltimore’s decision to deal Eduardo Rodriguez for Miller at the trade deadline.

With ST here, I am wondering what this team will look like at the beginning of April? I wouldn't be as worried if we'd gotten at least one solid SP and a big bat somewhere. I have faith, but I feel we're rolling the dice again instead of having a couple of sure things.

MSK

Mods, I apologize for the large chunk of text, but these points were ones I was making all offseason and was told that I was wrong, etc.

With ST here, I am wondering what this team will look like at the beginning of April? I wouldn't be as worried if we'd gotten at least one solid SP and a big bat somewhere. I have faith, but I feel we're rolling the dice again instead of having a couple of sure things.

MSK

And Miller, Cruz and Markakis are all sure things?

MSK

Why does this team need a SP when it has 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSK

No doubt it would be nice to have a bonafide #1 but I agree that getting another middle of the road pitcher would be kind of pointless.

I still feel indifferent about losing Cruz. I don't think that deal he got would have hurt the Os currently or in the future.

I feel if CD has another bad year it could really effect Jones offensively with no feared protection.

No doubt it would be nice to have a bonafide #1 but I agree that getting another middle of the road pitcher would be kind of pointless.

I still feel indifferent about losing Cruz. I don't think that deal he got would have hurt the Os currently or in the future.

I feel if CD has another bad year it could really effect Jones offensively with no feared protection.

Ah, protection....:rolleyes:

The O's probably won the Division Series vs Detroit because they outbid the Tigers for Miller. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going for it in the situation. I would have been disappointed if they hadn't. As far as Ed Rod's potential. Its something you just live with knowing you did the right thing.

Matter of fact if they are in that situation again this fall and it helps the O's shot at winning the World Series they should do it again.

The O's probably won the Division Series vs Detroit because they outbid the Tigers for Miller.

The Tigers having Joba instead of Miller obviously hurt them, but the Orioles swept the series. The Orioles were ahead in game one throughout (though the Tigers eighth inning implosion removed the drama) and the Tigers bullpen was not a factor in game three. I think your conclusion is overblown.

I'm not certain that he was top 200. He had really fallen off. It had been a poor season for him.

IMO, it strains credibility to see posts (including some IIRC from Weams) that the Orioles FO outbid the Tigers for a key available player at the trade deadline and then to insist the player was outside the top 200.

There have been articles posted that the Tigers had met the BoSox trade request only to be told the BoSox had one more avenue to pursue - EdRod. By the nature of the description and the out-bidding of the Tigers, it would seem on the surface that EdRod was a reach prospect-wise from the BoSox perspective when they asked for him knowing they were satisfied with the Tigers offer.

However, if you want to insist that EdRod was outside the Top 200, then it would seem natural to also conclude either the Os mis-valued EdRod or completely messed up his development given what he did for Boston immediately after the trade. You can pick your poison here, but it's not a pretty story.

Archived