A Question about the Promotions of DSL Players

Oldorioles

First, let me say, far be it from me to understand the inner workings of everything that goes into deciding which players to promote and which not to. I know much more goes into this than seasonal statistics, there are developmental issues (both physical and mental), when you were drafted, what scouts think of your, your willingness to listen to coaches, even personalty. I get that and it's impossible to handicap. That being said, I was looking over the list of minor leaguers in camp at Sarasota and I was stuck by how few DSL players (specifically pitchers) were on that roster. I'm assuming if they are going to start the season playing stateside, they are probably on that roster. Combing that roster I found five players who had the majority of their playing time in the DSL last year. They are:

1B - Carlos Diaz

SS - Guillermo Salas

CF - Daniel Franco

1B/C - Phildrick Llewellyn

SP - Ofelky Peralta

Salas and Franco both played some stateside in the GCL last year. So, only three players are in camp having never played in the States. Two, Diaz and Peralta, have received considerable hype.

My question is, why are we not giving a chance to some of the young pitchers who performed outstandingly last season? Now, I know stats, especially in the DSL, are to be taken with a big grain of salt, but let's have a look.

Here are three examples (and there are more) of deserving pitchers from the O's DSL teams last year. All were in the age 20 season or younger....

Victor Romero - 1.88 ERA as a starter, 67K: 8BB (not a typo), 0.896 WHIP. Was 19 last year. Not sure what more he could do to get noticed.

Jose Rosario - 2.95 ERA mainly as a starter, 65K: 12BB, 1.140 WHIP

Victor Ramirez - 0.64 ERA (reliever), 28K: 4 BB, 0.671 WHIP

I'm not sure I understand why these guys wouldn't at least get a shot to go to the GCL and see what they could do. Any thoughts?

Archived