2015 New York Yankees

OFFNY

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Teixeira had an excellent season in his first with the Yankees in 2009.

He followed that up with 2 more solid seasons in 2010 and 2011.

However ........ both his batting average and his OBP have steadily declined since that 2009 season:

2009: O .292 BA (.383 OBP)

2010: O .256 BA (.365 OBP)

2011: O .248 BA (.341 OBP)

2012: O .251 BA (.332 OBP)

2013: O .151 BA (.270 OBP)

2014: O .216 BA (.313 OBP)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/teixema01.shtml

So, while Teixeira may have a point about the field at Yankee Stadium being compromised due to overuse/sharing it with a soccer team, one can also argue that currently, he (Teixeira) is the proverbial stone-thrower in a glass house in regard to what sucks, and what doesn't suck.

It's possible that Teixeira may wind up having a solid, comeback season in 2015. But until that happens, he sounds a little foolish in regard to his commentary on sucking.

o

o

However ........ both his batting average and his OBP have steadily declined since that 2009 season:

So, while Teixeira may have a point about the field at Yankee Stadium being compromised due to overuse/sharing it with a soccer team, one can also argue that currently, he (Teixeira) is the proverbial stone-thrower in a glass house in regard to what sucks, and what doesn't suck.

It's possible that Teixeira may wind up having a solid, comeback season in 2015. But until that happens, he sounds a little foolish in regard to his commentary on sucking.

o

He is sounding a bit like Chris Davis these days.

Let's see if he stays healthy. He missed almost all of 2013, so I don't take his stats from that year too seriously. He missed some time at the beginning of 2014, too, though to be honest he started the year pretty decently and hit worse as the year went along. I don't think he'll ever be the player he was in his 20's, but I think he can still be an above average 1B if defense is considered.

o

o

He is sounding a bit like Chris Davis these days.

Those 1st basemen don't appear to have very good timing with their statements to the press, do they?

I think Teixeira's comments are petty much spot on. Soccer should not be played on a MLB field. And he's not alone.

Part of the problem is that in between games, mobile lighting will be used to re-grow grass that is torn up during the soccer matches. And that is a concern to Bret Gardner who said planting and re-growing new grass so often elevates the risk of injury.

?Problem is the root system. After you put new grass down, there?s no root system, so essentially you?re running full speed on top of AstroTurf that?s sitting on top of cement. And that grass will give way, and you blow something out ? knee, ankle.?

To me, it' a bad idea.

I think Teixeira's comments are petty much spot on. Soccer should not be played on a MLB field. And he's not alone.

Part of the problem is that in between games, mobile lighting will be used to re-grow grass that is torn up during the soccer matches. And that is a concern to Bret Gardner who said planting and re-growing new grass so often elevates the risk of injury.

?Problem is the root system. After you put new grass down, there?s no root system, so essentially you?re running full speed on top of AstroTurf that?s sitting on top of cement. And that grass will give way, and you blow something out ? knee, ankle.?

To me, it' a bad idea.

Sounds like something he should take to his union rep and not to the press as bad as he has been. Makes him sound like a has been on a losing team. He would be better letting his play talk. Be the strong silent type. Like Gary Cooper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived