Round of 64: #4 Maryland v. #13 Valparaiso (3/20) (4:40 pm ET) (TNT)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryland feels like a team that will raise their game to the occasion. But having read up on Valpo, I think the Crusaders will play really well too. Valpo is very capable of getting absurdly hot from outside. They're efficient, they rebound, the have enough size and athleticism to hold their own, and they play stifling defense.

My prediction is that it'll be a tight game at the half and Valpo may be ahead by a point or two.

In the second half:

• The 3's will start to miss for Valpo
  • Turgeon will know which is the best option amongst Ceko, Dodd, Smo
  • Melo will get to the line a lot
  • Dez will help keep Valpo close by trying to do too much, and then he'll help spread out a lead by having success despite perhaps trying to do too much.

MD will hold a lead between say 6-10 points over the last 6-8 minutes of the game; Valpo might have one more run in them but MD will be up to the task.

Maryland feels like a team that will raise their game to the occasion. But having read up on Valpo, I think the Crusaders will play really well too. Valpo is very capable of getting absurdly hot from outside. They're efficient, they rebound, the have enough size and athleticism to hold their own, and they play stifling defense.

My prediction is that it'll be a tight game at the half and Valpo may be ahead by a point or two.

In the second half:

• The 3's will start to miss for Valpo
  • Turgeon will know which is the best option amongst Ceko, Dodd, Smo
  • Melo will get to the line a lot
  • Dez will help keep Valpo close by trying to do too much, and then he'll help spread out a lead by having success despite perhaps trying to do too much.

MD will hold a lead between say 6-10 points over the last 6-8 minutes of the game; Valpo might have one more run in them but MD will be up to the task.

That would be awfully nice and less stressful than usual...haha.

I heard on the radio Valpo is big on the inside and can shoot the 3 very well (over 40% for the team, I think I heard). Wells and Layman exterior defense should help with cutting down some of the perimeter shooting, but I do worry about our inside presence. I think Ceko could be a big factor in this game. For the love of all things, please no one throw a no look pass to Dodd or while on Dodd is on the run, he just can't handle the catch.

So obvious concerns are we play to level of competition and are inferior away from home. That said, I think we're too talented and the focus will be too sharp today to allow Valpo to pull the upset unless they just shoot out of their minds.

Really, really want this win because it would cap a strong season.

Iowa State and Baylor lost because their best players completely choked down the stretch. Georges Niang of Iowa State is one of the best players in the country but was taking horrible shots or turning the ball over on every single possession late in the game.

Dez and Melo aren't going to choke. When the game is on the line, those guys completely take over. Dez turns into the best player on the court and Melo gets to the line and knocks down his free throws. I think we will see something similar today. Maryland wins 71-63.

Do they never practice playing against a zone the offense always seems to go silent against a zone.

And Trimble shooting a 45 foot shots not going to help either.

I do have to say that Smo looks good early and seems to be the only one moving on offense. Happy to cheer for him to keep doing productive things.

Do they never practice playing against a zone the offense always seems to go silent against a zone.

And Trimble shooting a 45 foot shots not going to help either.

I do have to say that Smo looks good early and seems to be the only one moving on offense. Happy to cheer for him to keep doing productive things.

I like what I've seen from Smo over the last 3-4 games.

It's disappointing that we weren't able to stretch out a bigger lead when Valpo was struggling shooting.

I like what I've seen from Smo over the last 3-4 games.

It's disappointing that we weren't able to stretch out a bigger lead when Valpo was struggling shooting.

I agree but not sure Maryland would know what to do with a large lead.

Archived