Baseball America: Brady Aiken and 12 Pitches Before Injury

weams

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/brady-aiken-leaves-start-early/

Lefthander Brady Aiken, pitching for IMG Academy?s postgraduate team for the first time this spring, left his start with an apparent injury after making just 12 pitches and getting two outs.

The unsigned No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft, Aiken was facing a team of Canadian amateurs, the Ontario Blue Jays 18U White team. Three sources reported his velocity peaked at 92-93 mph, depending on the radar gun. According to one scout, two of his final three pitches were curveballs, the first at 79 mph and the last at 72. Another source pegged the velocity on the last pitch at 70 mph.

Oh well.

Not a signing bonus, if he ends up being a major league level player he will.

I wonder what the average earnings are for someone with ML experience?

Well sure. Maybe he'll be great. And then the bonus won't matter.

I suspect the people he has been listening to, has not been giving him good council.

Of course, that has nothing to do with his injury.

When you are hurt and trying to get big money - You know, like Nick this offseason - It can make for poor decisions and strained relations. Because it can't be a win/win situation.

When you are hurt and trying to get big money - You know, like Nick this offseason - It can make for poor decisions and strained relations. Because it can't be a win/win situation.

In the end of the day, 5 million was a significant sum of money to thumb one's nose at.

Makes the Astros seem a little less dumb eh?

No. They bungled their negotiations, pissed off their #1 pick to the point he preferred to roll the dice than be a part of their organization for the next 5-10 years, and lost Nix in the process (for whom they received no compensation).

This was never about "is Aiken broken or is he not?" It was about the Astros utilizing a flawed process.

No. They bungled their negotiations, pissed off their #1 pick to the point he preferred to roll the dice than be a part of their organization for the next 5-10 years, and lost Nix in the process (for whom they received no compensation).

This was never about "is Aiken broken or is he not?" It was about the Astros utilizing a flawed process.

I obviously don't know the in and outs of the negotiations but I have no issue with a team restructuring an offer if there is an issue with the physical.

I will say that they should have exercised more caution to ensure the Nix situation did not occur.

And to some degree it was a "is Aiken broken or not". Just like the O's with Balfour certain groups suggested that the issue with the physical was nothing more then a ploy to save the team money.

Archived