Melo Coming Back to Maryland for Sophomore season?

Jeff Ermann of InsideMDSports.com (a pretty good Terps site) is reporting that Melo is coming back for his sophomore year.

If true, this would obviously be massive. Maryland would be a pretty damn good team with everyone returning and Brantley and Carter Jr. joining the fold.

Trimble, who averaged a team-high 16.2 points along with 3.9 rebounds and three assists while leading Maryland to its first NCAA Tournament berth in five years, would only consider leaving if an NBA franchise were to guarantee it would use a first-round pick on him. That seems unlikely -- per sources, NBA feedback has him as a non-guaranteed pick somewhere in between the late first round and mid-second round -- and still wouldn't necessarily convince him to declare unless it appeared a perfect situation for a young point guard to be nurtured.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Source-Trimble-Planning-Return-to-Maryland-36378513

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please tell me this is true!

Can you imagine if we also added Diamond Stone? This team would be loaded! Probably a pre season top 5 team.

I've read a few tweets that Stone is leaning Wisconsin. Have no idea if those are reliable or not though.

With Melo back I think we are a preseason Top 10 team going into next season with or without Diamond Stone. GTech transfer Robert Carter will give us a legitimate inside scoring presence, something we didn't have this year. As much as we enjoyed the Big 3 of Melo, Wells, and Layman this year they are all guards/wing players. Melo/Layman/Carter will be much more formidable.

On Stone, I see he has Wisconsin and UConn also on his list. I would think if he's going to leave the State he would go to UConn. Better than leaving Wisconsin to go to an in-conference rival where he would then be hated in his hometown/state.

With Melo back I think we are a preseason Top 10 team going into next season with or without Diamond Stone. GTech transfer Robert Carter will give us a legitimate inside scoring presence, something we didn't have this year. As much as we enjoyed the Big 3 of Melo, Wells, and Layman this year they are all guards/wing players. Melo/Layman/Carter will be much more formidable.

On Stone, I see he has Wisconsin and UConn also on his list. I would think if he's going to leave the State he would go to UConn. Better than leaving Wisconsin to go to an in-conference rival where he would then be hated in his hometown/state.

I agree about us being a pre season top 10. This is a very talented team.

I could be completely wrong on this, but I believe UConn is pretty much out of the running for Stone. All the talk that I've heard lately is that it will either be Wisconsin or Maryland.

It will be a talented group next year, but Maryland seldom, if ever, has had success at getting the very top ranked recruits over the years. Moses Malone would have been one. Harrison twins teased and then went to bigger program and Diamond Stone will go to Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heard Jeff Ermann on WFAN tonight and he kinda qualified it by saying Trimble wouldn't leave unless a team committed to taking him in the first round.

So not necessarily a slam dunk he comes back but it sounds like he's leaning that way.

Team would be ridiculous if Trimble comes back and you land Stone.

It will be a talented group next year, but Maryland seldom, if ever, has had success at getting the very top ranked recruits over the years. Moses Malone would have been one. Harrison twins teased and then went to bigger program and Diamond Stone will go to Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danny Miller & Mike Jones (who?) were top 20 players (does Tamir Goodman count?). Justin Anderson was committed before Gary retired. Garrison (!), Ibekwe, & Melo top 30. John Gilchrist, Augustus Gilchrist, Sean Mosely, Faust, Shaq Cleare, Roddy Peters & Dion Wiley all were top 40 (all depending on the service). But we also knew all too well what Gary's relationship was like with recruiting & the AAU circuit & I think many of us took a certain pride in the type of guys Williams was actually developing (underrated & overachieving). And well yes looking at that list is pretty depressing considering almost all of them failed to live up to expectations.

I always loved the Williams era teams for what they represented. Now that's not to say I wouldn't mind a Diamond type player here & there, but I'd also rather have the hard working types that have really made themselves into great players.

Also the prior 20 years history leads me to believe that Stone isn't coming here but yeah that would be a hell of a team if he proves me wrong.

Heard Jeff Ermann on WFAN tonight and he kinda qualified it by saying Trimble wouldn't leave unless a team committed to taking him in the first round.

So not necessarily a slam dunk he comes back but it sounds like he's leaning that way.

Team would be ridiculous if Trimble comes back and you land Stone.

If all it would take would be a first round commitment from any team, I think it's likely he goes, because he would almost certainly be a 1st round pick.

Danny Miller & Mike Jones (who?) were top 20 players (does Tamir Goodman count?). Justin Anderson was committed before Gary retired. Garrison (!), Ibekwe, & Melo top 30. John Gilchrist, Augustus Gilchrist, Sean Mosely, Faust, Shaq Cleare, Roddy Peters & Dion Wiley all were top 40 (all depending on the service). But we also knew all too well what Gary's relationship was like with recruiting & the AAU circuit & I think many of us took a certain pride in the type of guys Williams was actually developing (underrated & overachieving). And well yes looking at that list is pretty depressing considering almost all of them failed to live up to expectations.

I always loved the Williams era teams for what they represented. Now that's not to say I wouldn't mind a Diamond type player here & there, but I'd also rather have the hard working types that have really made themselves into great players.

Also the prior 20 years history leads me to believe that Stone isn't coming here but yeah that would be a hell of a team if he proves me wrong.

Roddy Peters was a Top 40 recruit? I didn't think he was even in the Top 100. The rest sound reasonable although I thought Wiley was closer to the bottom of the Top 100. A lot of busts on that list or at least guys that played below expectations.

Roddy Peters was a Top 40 recruit? I didn't think he was even in the Top 100. The rest sound reasonable although I thought Wiley was closer to the bottom of the Top 100. A lot of busts on that list or at least guys that played below expectations.

Roddy was 52 by ESPN. Had an offer from Kansas.

But yeah, when UMD lands big recruits they rarely turn out well.

Archived