Looking For A Breakout Prospect In 2015? Look No Further Than Branden Kline

Slade-OH

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>People have asked me if I've heard about a guy on the Spring Training backfields that took a huge step forward. I hadn't, but I have now.</p>— Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) <a href="

">March 26, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles RHP Branden Kline sat 96-98 hit 99 mph for 4 innings yesterday, hit 98 mph in other MILB ST outing, 88-90 mph SL was +, CH flashed +</p>— Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) <a href="

">March 26, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kline was 2012 2nd rder from UVA & was last cut from my BAL list. Low 90s, fringy offspeed/CMD last yr; new delivery, Chris Archer comps now</p>— Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>He's expected to start the season in the Double-A rotation, so be ready for the "whoa Kline is so much better!" articles in about a month.</p>— Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) <a href="

McDaniel is the lead prospect writer for FanGraphs as well as a former scout in the O's organization so I trust his word on these reports and am very excited to see how Kline performs this year.

I just saw this on twitter as well and immediately came here. Looks like he scrapped his knee-bend delivery they teach at UVA and the early results have been amazing.

I'm now expecting a big year from Kline and hoping he can stay healthy.

Pretty interesting. I'm still concerned over the "straight" fastball reports I've received on him in the past. I'm looking forward to seeing him at Bowie though. It would be great if he's really found something that clicked.

Maybe the "new" delivery helps that.

Pretty interesting. I'm still concerned over the "straight" fastball reports I've received on him in the past. I'm looking forward to seeing him at Bowie though. It would be great if he's really found something that clicked.

I can live with a 96-98 "straight" Fastball if it comes with a plus Slider and a good Change. Assuming he can at least locate the Fastball.

That still sounds a lot better then my expectations for him.

Kline is going to start the year in Double-A Bowie's rotation. His velocity has increased this year but not to the level one report cited, according to the Orioles director of player development Brian Graham.

Kline pitched in the low 90s last year, at times touching a bit more than that and this spring he has touched the mid 90s, but he didn't sit at 96 to 98 mph, touching 99 as a report indicated.

"He has had a spike in velocity, as much as three and four miles an hour at times. He has pitched in the mid 90s this spring. He's touched 95. He has pitched extremely well this spring," Graham said.

Still sounds like someone to watch.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/04/minor-league-notes-on-klines-velocity-and-more-plus-a-take-on-jimenez.html

Kline said today his velocity increase this year was due in part to the fact he began using weighted baseballs over the winter. He worked out with his former University of Virginia college teammate, Norfolk pitcher Tyler Wilson, who also saw his velocity increase with the help of the weighted ball program.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/04/a-look-at-bowies-rotation-and-more-from-baysox-media-day.html

I think this weighted ball thing started with Zach Britton last offseason. http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2014/04/zach-britton-on-the-reasons-for-his-improved-sinker-and-2014-success.html

If Kline keeps pitching like this, we may see the brass limit his innings. Having him and Mike Wright as potential power relief options in Baltimore down the stretch is nice.

Looks like he had 143 innings last season. They shouldn't have to massage his workload that much.

Archived