2015 St. Louis Cardinals

OFFNY

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For many, many years, it was tradition that the opening MLB game was played in Cincy. The advent of beginning the season in a foreign country ended that. Since there is no foreign game this year, I wonder why they didn't have the first game in Cincy this year.

For many, many years, it was tradition that the opening MLB game was played in Cincy. The advent of beginning the season in a foreign country ended that. Since there is no foreign game this year, I wonder why they didn't have the first game in Cincy this year.

I don't think the foreign games have anything to do with why they stopped the Cincy tradition. It's mainly because Cincy just isn't that exciting a team and isn't a huge draw to a TV audience.

These days it's all about ratings, and a Cubs/Cardinals Opening Night matchup will certainly deliver more eyeballs than a Reds/Pirates opener would.

I don't think the foreign games have anything to do with why they stopped the Cincy tradition. It's mainly because Cincy just isn't that exciting a team and isn't a huge draw to a TV audience.

These days it's all about ratings, and a Cubs/Cardinals Opening Night matchup will certainly deliver more eyeballs than a Reds/Pirates opener would.

Not sure whether it had anything to do with it or not, but it seems like it just so happened that the end of Cincy tradition and the start of the foreign country season-openers started right about the same time. I tied the two together, but it could just be coincidental, I guess.

O

OOO *** OPENING NIGHT ***

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Matt Carpenter - 3B

Jason Heyward - RF

Matt Holliday - LF

Jhonny Peralta - SS

Matt Adams - 1B

Yadier Molina - C

Kolten Wong - 2B

Jon Jay - CF

Adam Wainwright - RHP (20-9, 2.38 ERA)