2015 St. Louis Cardinals

OFFNY

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For many, many years, it was tradition that the opening MLB game was played in Cincy. The advent of beginning the season in a foreign country ended that. Since there is no foreign game this year, I wonder why they didn't have the first game in Cincy this year.

For many, many years, it was tradition that the opening MLB game was played in Cincy. The advent of beginning the season in a foreign country ended that. Since there is no foreign game this year, I wonder why they didn't have the first game in Cincy this year.

I don't think the foreign games have anything to do with why they stopped the Cincy tradition. It's mainly because Cincy just isn't that exciting a team and isn't a huge draw to a TV audience.

These days it's all about ratings, and a Cubs/Cardinals Opening Night matchup will certainly deliver more eyeballs than a Reds/Pirates opener would.

I don't think the foreign games have anything to do with why they stopped the Cincy tradition. It's mainly because Cincy just isn't that exciting a team and isn't a huge draw to a TV audience.

These days it's all about ratings, and a Cubs/Cardinals Opening Night matchup will certainly deliver more eyeballs than a Reds/Pirates opener would.

Not sure whether it had anything to do with it or not, but it seems like it just so happened that the end of Cincy tradition and the start of the foreign country season-openers started right about the same time. I tied the two together, but it could just be coincidental, I guess.

O

OOO *** OPENING NIGHT ***

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Matt Carpenter - 3B

Jason Heyward - RF

Matt Holliday - LF

Jhonny Peralta - SS

Matt Adams - 1B

Yadier Molina - C

Kolten Wong - 2B

Jon Jay - CF

Adam Wainwright - RHP (20-9, 2.38 ERA)

CHICAGO CUBS

Dexter Fowler - CF

Jorge Soler - RF

Anthony Rizzo - 1B

Starlin Castro - SS

Chris Coghlan - LF

Mike Olt - 3B

David Ross - C

Jon Lester -LHP (16-11, 2.46 ERA) *

Tommy La Stella - 2B

* (10-7, 2.52 ERA) O[bOSTON RED SOX] OOO (6-4, 2.35 ERA) O[OAKLAND A'S]

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Who would’ve thought that the bullpen would’ve been this stable in terms of moves since OD?  We’re not seeing the up/down Norfolk shuttle. Vespi was up just because Webb was on Paternity Leave. Heasley and Ramirez have been just because Perez got injured. The early consistency allowed us to take a chance on a live arm like Ramirez because a team like the Mets is locked into a bunch of relievers that are out of options and making guaranteed money. Knock on wood, but I don’t think the bullpen has “cost” us a game. Maybe one of the 50/50 games in Pittsburgh. Everyone hates the small moves, but look at the arms Elias has added via that route since the end of ST 2022. Coloumbe, Webb, Suarez, Ramirez, Krook, and Ort. Building a bullpen isn’t sexy. Unless you sign Robert Stephenson. 
    • The guy had an intestinal virus or whatever and lost 10 pounds about a month ago.  It’s a non factor. 1. Hays has been really bad but he’s not close to Chris Davis territory. 2. He’s going to get starts once or twice a week as Cowser cools off and to get Mullins and Santander a day off. 3. The Orioles are 12-6 and the offense has been mostly good and that’s been with getting zilch from Holliday.  I’d hardly call them desperate to get Hays bat going against LHP. I handicap Hays getting sent down at 0%.
    • No doubt…I think expecting a 600 OPS is realistic early on.  A sub 200 OPS is pretty awful. Now, I don’t really care and i would still send him up there everyday.    Im just pointing out that you mentioned people having too high of expectations but people should have expected more than 1-25 with 14 Ks. The sample is too small for anything to matter but I don’t think expecting like than what he has done is asking for too much.
    • I don't think it's a good idea to trust a team to not screw you over.  I don't think it's a matter of pride, it's a matter of not being a sucker.  He gets paid this year either way and he has no guarantee of getting a contract for next season either way.
    • This seems like a strange post for you ...  unless I am mis-reading your post.   You are 100% correct that is my opinion. I never said that he didn't have the right to refuse. I also never said that he should trust the O's. I specificly mentioned that it might cost his FA status. I stated why he likely wouldn't accept it. I also laid out why I thought he should and how it would benefit him. 
    • Gunnar was a rookie getting his feet wet, Hays is a vet. You don’t hear me calling for Holliday to be sent down. 
    • Obviously. I’m only saying that Hyde clearly cares about getting Hays ABs. He doesn’t come into the game yesterday otherwise.    I have more faith in O’Hearn vs. the LHP than the current version of Hays and would have preferred O’Hearn to hit in that spot considering we were down a run and he’d be getting another at bat later anyway. 
  • Popular Contributors