Bud Norris 2015

slakattack

Ever since Bud came over from the Astros in 2013, I have been a fan. I love his tenacity, his enthusiasm and the fact that he will get in anyone's kitchen if he thinks he needs to. I did not get to see him pitch this Spring, but I know that he pitched poorly. I was hoping he would get a fresh start today, but I guess it was more of the same. My seats were too far away today to really see his pitches, so can someone shed some light on what he is or is not doing thus far this year? I really hope he get's it figured out... even it means him and KG will be trading places.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ever since Bud came over from the Astros in 2013, I have been a fan. I love his tenacity, his enthusiasm and the fact that he will get in anyone's kitchen if he thinks he needs to. I did not get to see him pitch this Spring, but I know that he pitched poorly. I was hoping he would get a fresh start today, but I guess it was more of the same. My seats were too far away today to really see his pitches, so can someone shed some light on what he is or is not doing thus far this year? I really hope he get's it figured out... even it means him and KG will be trading places.
Same here. Bud hasn't been the same pitcher that he was last year. If this continues, then he may very well need to spend some time in the bullpen so he can get help from Wallace and Chiti.

Location, location, location. Bud didn't locate his pitches at all today, and that was his downfall. Stuff looked decent (fastball topped out at 95, I think, slider looked tight, threw a couple good looking changeups). Illustrative was a big at bat against Donaldson - he had him down 0-2 and elevated a fastball when he should've wasted a pitch, or at least been overly careful, and Donaldson (if my memory serves me right) lashed a double down the right field line (someone feel free to correct me on this specific instance, but I think the general critique on location holds).

Just watched it. Not nearly as bad bad the line. Stuff looks OK to me. Better command and better pitches, Should be fine IMO.

That's the thing, though, he hasn't had command all spring and if he has been fighting through an injury he's doing himself and the team a disservice. Either way it's not something you get back magically over night.

He was throwing multiple CH in ST and then threw hardly any yesterday. Most of his pitches were either up or completely missed the mark. I have to take him at his word that he's fine physically so then mechanically there's an issue. Even he said after his performance he was looking at video to see what the problem is, said his slider wasn't great and the two seamer got away from him.

That's the thing, though, he hasn't had command all spring and if he has been fighting through an injury he's doing himself and the team a disservice. Either way it's not something you get back magically over night.

He was throwing multiple CH in ST and then threw hardly any yesterday. Most of his pitches were either up or completely missed the mark. I have to take him at his word that he's fine physically so then mechanically there's an issue. Even he said after his performance he was looking at video to see what the problem is, said his slider wasn't great and the two seamer got away from him.

I saw several changeups. It's a heavy RH lineup though. Other than poor location on some pitches, nothing really stood out to me. I counted one ball that was hit hard in that first inning (Pompei's double). I thought he was throwing mostly 4 seamers, so maybe that is an issue if he said he was throwing 2 seamers. I'm not alarmed yet, but lets face it, Norris is probably at the back of the rotation in terms of quality.

I thought he was much better for 2.2 until that ball was rocketed over Jones head. Sure, Adam misread it but the ball was pounded on a ball left up by Bud. Up til then he had good command of his FB and slider and after he definitely struggled with it.

He he threw a couple better change ups early on, one set up a SO on a slider but overall he still looks shaky even though he got through 6 IP.

o

15 OUTS: 7 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts

DAVID STEFAN NORRIS O(vs. YANKEES, 4/15)

IP:. 5

H:o 5 (1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:O 3

BB: 2

SO: 7

Pitches: 98 (57 Strikes, 41 Balls)

2015 ERA: 12.38

PITCHES BY INNINGS

16 (10 Strikes, 61 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 51 Balls)

21 (10 Strikes, 11 Balls)

15 (71 Strikes, 81 Balls)

30 (19 Strikes, 11 Balls)

o

7 OUTS: 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

DAVID STEFAN NORRIS O(vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/21)

IP:. 2.33

H:o 6 (1 Home Run, 3 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:O 9

BB: 3

SO: 2

Pitches: 65 (38 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2015 ERA: 17.42

PITCHES BY INNINGS

10 (81 Strikes, 21 Balls)

39 (20 Strikes, 19 Balls)

16 (10 Strikes, 61 Balls) *

* Norris recorded 1 out before departing in the 3rd inning.

By my math Norris would have to throw 39.1 scoreless innings to have a 3.00 ERA. I'll always remember his start in the ALDS. But right now he needs to be skipped while we are playing this AL east stretch. They are killing him. He is what he is. A 5th starter that is seeing the AL east for a 3rd go around.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Bud Norris so far this season: 31 outs, 20 earned runs, 18 hits, 6 walks.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">April 22, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived