2015 Atlanta Braves

OFFNY

o

Nick Markakis and company took 2 out of 3 games from the Blue Jays.

They came close to a sweep ...... in the one game that they lost, they blew a 4-0 lead.

For the series, Markakis reached base safely 11 times in 14 plate appearances, for a .786 OBP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

o

Former Oriole Jimmy Johnson pitched one shutout inning today in the 8th inning of the Braves' game with the Brewers.

Johnson struck out 2 of the 3 batters that he faced (and got all 3 of them out.) He threw 12 pitches (10 Strikes, 2 Balls.)

It was Johnson's 8th consecutive scoreless outing, and his 13th outing in his last 14 of not allowing any earned runs.

In that frame (his last 14 games), Johnson has decreased his ERA from 5.63 to 2.53, and decreased his WHIP from 1.875 to 1.172.

• 3 weeks later...
Markakis currently slugging .367...... 275 at bats into the season.

0 home runs, 16 doubles.

I'm still bothered by what he did a few days ago - up twice in the same game (a 5-3 loss) with the bases loaded and GIDP'd softly both times - batting cleanup.

Meanwhile rookie William Perez did something only a rookie ecstatic to be in the Majors would consider. He was struggling up till June 10th - when he went 7 innings without giving up an earned run and got the win. On June 13th, he pitched in relief and got a save. He came back to start... on June 15th (!) and pitched 6 shutout innings - earning another win.

The Braves sure aren't short of young pitching. Mike Folty____ was slumping badly, so Matt Wisler gets the call up. Wisler had a high ERA at AAA, but I think he's going to stick for more than a decade in the majors because he pounds the strike zone with 4 pitches and can hit the mid 90's.

The Braves have acquired right-handed pitchers Bronson Arroyo and Touki Toussaint from the Diamondbacks in exchange for infielder Philip Gosselin, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). The teams have confirmed the move.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I like what Hart has done with the Braves in terms of reloading their farm system. It remains to be seen whether the prospects will pan out, but he's added a lot of young talent in a short amount of time.

The Braves have acquired right-handed pitchers Bronson Arroyo and Touki Toussaint from the Diamondbacks in exchange for infielder Philip Gosselin' date=' reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). The teams have confirmed the move.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I like what Hart has done with the Braves in terms of reloading their farm system. It remains to be seen whether the prospects will pan out, but he's added a lot of young talent in a short amount of time.

They basically paid 10 million for the Reds #5 prospect - on his 19th birthday. And if the Braves are still in it (they're only 1.5 games back) in August, Arroyo can help them down the stretch.

What's amazing is that their hitting has improved over last season. Who knew Jace Peterson and Cameron Maybin would be OPSing around .750 in the 1st and 2nd spots in the lineup? Credit has to go to the new hitting coach. http://www.talkingchop.com/2015/6/19/8806561/getting-seitzed-atlanta-braves-offense-kevin-seitzer-jace-peterson-cameron-maybin

Jim Johnson comes in the game in the 9th with the Braves up 1-0, lets the first 2 batters on and then retires the side. Ryan Lavarnway - of all people scored the run. Brilliantly pitched 7 inning 78 pitch performance by Teheran, but Braves pinch-hit for him - and the pinch-hitter made it a wise decision - Pedro Ciriaco came through with the RBI. He's a talented athlete for a career utility man and the Braves preferred him over Phil Gosselin. Braves sweep the Mets despite Freddie Freeman missing the series with a wrist problem. Now just a half game behind the Mets and 1.5 behind the Nats.

Archived