The Offense

Frobby

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kind of like what I'm seeing from the offense. We've scored at least 5 runs in 6 of the 7 games we've played. Certainly the power has been there. I feel like we've seen some patient at bats, too.

Yep, I'm not worried about the hitting at all. And we still have Hardy and Wieters coming back, though more and more I'm thinking Joseph is an everyday catcher.

We haven't really faced any aces, but then again our division isn't exactly stocked with Kershaw's (unlike the AL Central, good lord!). I'm excited, especially since Davis and Machado appear to be struggling.

Manny is coming around, picked up a hit the game before and 2 more last night.

I kind of like what I'm seeing from the offense. We've scored at least 5 runs in 6 of the 7 games we've played. Certainly the power has been there. I feel like we've seen some patient at bats, too.

Thanks for the positive thread! Its easy to dwell on the negative after last night, but we do have some bright spots.

o

(vs. YANKEES, 4/15)

Another good game for the offense.

7 runs overall.

Jonathan Schoop hit his 3rd home run of the season. and it was VERY TIMELY. His solo shot tied the game, and started what was to become a 5-run inning that gave the Orioles the lead for good.

Yep, I'm not worried about the hitting at all. And we still have Hardy and Wieters coming back, though more and more I'm thinking Joseph is an everyday catcher.

Caleb is not going to finish the season close to .375/.444/.542, but he is definitely auditioning to be the starting catcher in '16. We know he can handle the position; if he keeps hitting, I don't think the Orioles even entertain bringing Wieters back. Way, way too early to tell for sure.

The only problem I see with our offense is that we need too many guys to fill the roles in LF, RF, and DH. Needing De Aza, Snider, Pearce, and Young means not having room for Lough (if we bring back Paredes), and our outfield defense is much better with Lough out there.

Sure, the defense is better with Lough, but he's not going to play except for late inning defense. Despite a couple of instances, De Aza is solid in LF and Snider is fine in RF. The "too many guys" is what makes the team effective. Buck can plug and play based on who is swinging well and who is not or go with the best matchups. Buck is going to have to choose betwee offense (Paredes) and defense (Lough). I think normally they'd go with defense but my gut feeling is that they think Paredes is a potential regular at some point and will not risk losing him.

Paredes' rehab assignment could have something to do with the eventual decision. Maybe they give him a good bit of work in LF and RF to see if he can be a backup there. Maybe the bench becomes Cabrera backing up the middle infield and CF with Paredes backing up 3B and the CO spots.

When Joseph and Schoop hit, there is no black hole in the lineup. When the bottom of your lineup is a threat, you have a good offense. Guys will get hot while others cool down. We should be okay.

Chris Davis a black hole. He is probably the last guy that I want up there in a big situation.

De Aza deserves a metric ton of credit for being one of the best leadoff hitters I have seen in awhile. In most games our hitters have seen the other pitchers whole arsenal in the first AB.

His 13 k's and only 1 walk leave me very concerned, and when he misses, he misses by a lot. I'm still not sold on him over the course of a long season as leadoff hitter, but if people behind him are hitting it might not matter.

When Hardy comes back, Flaherty optioned.

Eventually Reimold or Paredes replaces David Lough

Than you have Davis, Snider, DeAzza as LH Hitters

Young, Reimold, Pearce as RH hitters among the players who will be juggled

Machado, Hardy, Schoop, and Joseph play almost every day

When Wieters comes back he is the LH catcher to platoon with Joseph, and also is thrown into the DH scrum.

Man I've always been a Reimold fan and he is hitting well at Norfolk after a great Spring. He could really be our X factor.

Archived