Grant Balfour DFAed by Tampa (Orioles Took a Beating)

Crazysilver03

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the Tampa org or the agent or both try to make us look bad?

This whole thing was quite strange. I doubted us honestly but good to see our internal folks got it more right. I think it gives us all more confidence which is great news.

How is not signing him due to concerns with his physical not a right reason?

That wasn't what I meant. I agreed at the time that the physical was a real concern and a real reason not to sign him. My point was that it wasn't an injury that ultimately did him in (unless he's still hiding it.... a legit possibility). The "right reason" is that he just hasn't been that good.

That wasn't what I meant. I agreed at the time that the physical was a real concern and a real reason not to sign him. My point was that it wasn't an injury that ultimately did him in (unless he's still hiding it.... a legit possibility). The "right reason" is that he just hasn't been that good.

Did he ever get his 2013 velocity back?

Did he ever get his 2013 velocity back?

Based on Pitch Fx, doesn't look like it. In fact, his 2015 velocity has been even lower than 2014. He was sitting around 94-95 in 2014. Around 91-93 last year, with some 94 by year's end. This year, he's barely breaking 90.

Almost like there is a physical issue.

I'm not trying to debate that he has a physical issue. I even said in the 2nd post that it IS a legit possibility. And in the original I never said we were wrong not to sign him and I never said it was the wrong reasons. All I was saying is that we don't have proof yet that he's injured... only that he's not as good as he was. Whether that's injury or not is simply speculation. Evidence points in the direction that there's a good chance he's hurt.

But I was glad we didn't sign him when the failed physical came to light.

Based on Pitch Fx, doesn't look like it. In fact, his 2015 velocity has been even lower than 2014. He was sitting around 94-95 in 2014. Around 91-93 last year, with some 94 by year's end. This year, he's barely breaking 90.
Almost like there is a physical issue.
Prove it.

Nice. Preponderance of evidence in this case would be on Balfour, would it not? I mean at the time. To prove he was healthy, which is why it was kinda strange the defensive reaction he had. And btw, I laughed pretty hard when I saw your response. Maybe you weren't going for comedy but it was perfect.

Nice. Preponderance of evidence in this case would be on Balfour, would it not? I mean at the time. To prove he was healthy, which is why it was kinda strange the defensive reaction he had. And btw, I laughed pretty hard when I saw your response. Maybe you weren't going for comedy but it was perfect.

At least two of us are making light of the situation.

Looks like we were right to stay away from him. Even if it wasn't necessarily for the right reasons (but not exactly the wrong ones either).

It was absolutely for the right reason. It's the second year and his shoulder is hot garbage.

Perfect comedy.

Archived