Jimmy Paredes long-term

Brooks The Great

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's say that this hot hitting Paredes has exhibited since his activation is a result of him having put everything together, and the Orioles decide he's a part of the future.

How would you guys get him the maximum number of at bats in the starting lineup if you are Buck Showalter?

He is batting second today, right? That is exactly what he is doing.

But there is still a vast majority that think Lough is more valuable:)

I think you a bit over the top.

One is an infielder and the other an outfielder, hard to compare the two.

What? Well then I think you have a poo-poo face.

How many roster spots do you think we have sitting around? They are related actually.

Let's say that this hot hitting Paredes has exhibited since his activation is a result of him having put everything together, and the Orioles decide he's a part of the future.

How would you guys get him the maximum number of at bats in the starting lineup if you are Buck Showalter?

Why would I want to maximize his at bats? His MLB career thus far has resulted in a .620 OPS, over a win below replacement, and he doesn't appear to be a plus defender at any position.

Why would I want to maximize his at bats? His MLB career thus far has resulted in a .620 OPS, over a win below replacement, and he doesn't appear to be a plus defender at any position.

People love their WAR...because he is hot at the plate, that is why. He seems to have figured something out at the plate.

WAR measures PAST performance, not future performance. WAR is the same reason everyone loves Lough despite the fact when most people watch the games they realize he doesn't have any assets other than his glove.

People love their WAR...because he is hot at the plate, that is why. He seems to have figured something out at the plate.

WAR measures PAST performance, not future performance. WAR is the same reason everyone loves Lough despite the fact when most people watch the games they realize he doesn't have any assets other than his glove.

All WAR does is quantify performance. Almost everyone who dislikes WAR does the same thing in a less accurate, ad hoc manner in their own heads. For example, you can ignore the fact that Paredes has an extremely light resume if you weight his performance this spring and his handful of at bats the last few days very heavily. You really wouldn't want to write that down, since it makes no sense, so it's probably better to use in-your-head WAR in this case. Anyway, being hot at the plate has no predictive value. The only thing you can go on to continue playing Paredes is the idea that his MLB performance to date does not represent his true ability. I think his minor league performances wouldn't support that, since they're also not that impressive.

All WAR does is quantify performance. Almost everyone who dislikes WAR does the same thing in a less accurate, ad hoc manner in their own heads. For example, you can ignore the fact that Paredes has an extremely light resume if you weight his performance this spring and his handful of at bats the last few days very heavily. You really wouldn't want to write that down, since it makes no sense, so it's probably better to use in-your-head WAR in this case. Anyway, being hot at the plate has no predictive value. The only thing you can go on to continue playing Paredes is the idea that his MLB performance to date does not represent his true ability. I think his minor league performances wouldn't support that, since they're also not that impressive.

Good thoughts. I just think the Orioles must have seen something, he looks great and he is a heck of a lot more valuable in my eyes than David Lough. We have Adam Jones emergency replacement in AAA-Borbon.

Good thoughts. I just think the Orioles must have seen something, he looks great and he is a heck of a lot more valuable in my eyes than David Lough. We have Adam Jones emergency replacement in AAA-Borbon.

Lough has a much more impressive resume than Paredes, he's miles better with the glove and (at least so far in his MLB career) has been a much better hitter. To me Paredes is one of those guys who looks pretty impressive, might win a team field day competition, but really isn't much of a baseball player. One of Earl's rules was you don't keep a guy on the roster because he's athletic and looks good, you keep guys who have strengths you can leverage to win ballgames. Lough is a plus defender, a good runner, and a competent hitter. Paredes might not be above-team-average in anything he does.

For the purposes of discussion, let's go with the original poster's idea that Paredes continues to hit like this for a month or more. Wieters comes off the disabled list and replaces our second catcher. Hardy comes back and either Cabrera or Flaherty are gone. Here comes Schoop. Who goes? Paredes? Delmon? Flaherty/Cabrera? Lough? Davis? Pearse?

If Paredes is only a bat, then it seems to me that the choice is between him and our other bat--Delmon. We need a reserve middle infielder. We need a reserve center fielder. Maybe if Pearse is still batting .175 we can decide to keep this year's flash-in-the-pan over last year's flash-in-the-pan.

I prefer to keep Paredes over Lough. I think Hardy replaces Lough. Worry about what to do with Schoop when he is ready to come off.

I know Paredes doesn't have the better major league track record but he has looked good going back to last summer with the Os. This team needs offense in the future and Paredes is as much an investment in the now as in the future. I would love to keep Lough but if it came down to the two, Paredes.

1. It should be a choice between Paredes and Young because both offer little in the field.

2. If it's a choice between Lough and Paredes lets keep in mind that Lough figures to hardly play. Even less than last year.

3. You keep playing Paredes (like Buck is going to do) until he stops hitting. If he does, he's dispensable. If he doesn't you have a 26 year old switch hitting DH for the future.

Well, he might be Steve Pearce. The 2015 Steve Pearce. It's hard to tell. I think Pearce has real power though. Don't you?

Archived